Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please - Essex/Middlesex birth 1803 (ish)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Loops

Loops Report 15 Nov 2004 11:35

I'm looking for details on a Martha Philips born Enfield Essex 1803? I cant find her marriage cert probably 1830's to Thomas Burdet from 'Herts' @ 1805 so cant glean clues from that either. I'm utterly stuck can someone cure my headache or give me a pointer?

Sam

Sam Report 15 Nov 2004 12:16

Hi Louise There won't be a marriage certificate if they married before 1837 when civil registration began. Have you looked on the IGI (at www.familysearch.org) as this has births/marriages frm this period although not all are on there, it is a good place to start. Other than this you will probably need to look at the parish registers held at your nearest Records Office. Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 13:47

As far as I know, Enfield was in Herts, not Essex. Have you found this couple on 1841 census? nell

Sean

Sean Report 15 Nov 2004 14:05

Enfield was/is in Middlesex. The main church at that time was probably St Andrew. The parish registers are at the London Metropolitan Archive

Loops

Loops Report 15 Nov 2004 14:11

Helen, You diamond, never occured to me that enfield was in herts as in your message or middlesex as per another contributer and not essex. I've got them married in the 1861 (rg99 67)Census in Marylebone. 1871 census Burditt Widowed 1881 This could solve a mystery. I will try and get over there, believe it or not another cousin has been searching for them for 2 years.......I have the advantage of being in the UK.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 14:18

Maybe its Middlesex after all - I know its on the edge of Greater London. Just checked on Genuki: Description and Travel Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)] "ENFIELD, a parish and town in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.W. of Edmonton, and 10 N.E. of London. " At any rate, its not Essex! nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 14:23

I've just checked the IGI for Burdet(t) baptism and Phillips marriage in Enfield. Found nothing. Also not on the LDS. I wonder if they married in/around St Pancras - they could have met when they were both working and had left home. Where does it say Thomas was born on the census? nell

Loops

Loops Report 15 Nov 2004 14:33

Helen the 1861 census simply says for Thomas Burdett: herts, no village no town? Not been able to tie them down on the 1851 census or previous. Surname has been spelt Burditt Bardett Burdell. St Pancras area appears frequently with the Burdett along with Hanover Square.