Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Records kept by work houses in kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dee

dee Report 14 Nov 2004 22:40

Could any body please tell me if you can get work house records and where could i get them from if i can . The reason for asking is i have found a relli who was in one at a very old aged Wife was still at home with his son And i would like to find out why he was there . Because of his age i was guessing that maybe his family could not cope it is so sad . Diana

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Nov 2004 00:02

I don't know about Kent, but my grandfather was born in a workhouse in Southwark, London. A very kind person on GR went to the London Metropolitan Archives for me (which is where the London workhouse records are kept), and managed to get me copies of the admittance register, which told me the date my great grandmother entered the workhouse, that supper was her first meal after admittance, that she was in labour at the time and that she gave birth to a son. I also got copies of the workhouse birth register, and the discharge register. I'm sure there will be similar records for workhouses in Kent and I would imagine these would be at the local record office. Kath. x

Maxine

Maxine Report 16 Nov 2004 22:12

Hi My grandad, his borther and mother was in a workhouse in the 1901 census, also a great site to look on is workhouses.org.uk, it has alot of interesting information, you can even go on diffrent workhouses. Hope this will be of help. Maxine

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 16 Nov 2004 22:28

Sweet 16 - try Kent County Hall - they may have some records. There's a link to them via www(.)kent(.)gov(.)uk or possibly the Civic Centre, Strood, Medway..........

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Nov 2004 22:33

I'd certainly check out the site Maxine suggested. I've just spent ages on it checking out the workhouse in Derby where I've located one of my ancestors and its fantastic Lou