Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

School Records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 14 Nov 2004 19:11

I am trying to find a rellie who apparantly went to a private school in Sheffield and wondered if there were any records kept of who went to what school around 1910? Regards Claire

Islay

Islay Report 14 Nov 2004 19:41

Claire, suggest that you approach your Main Library/Archive. I contacted mine and as long as the records are not within 50 years I was able to handle ths actual Registers. The information contain was dob, person registering, address, previous school and following on from that which school they progressed to. Also available was the Monthly log which gaves lots more info about the teachers, pupils and social area. Fingers crossed for you that the Registers were handed over, Good luck Kassidy

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Nov 2004 19:42

Hi If you go on to Friends Reunited, you should be able to get the actual name and address of the school, if it hasn't changed since 1910. A lot of schools used to keep old registers, but if they haven't got them, they should be able to point you in the right direction. If you're not sure of the name of the school, you can view all the schools in the sheffield area (it does take ages though)! Hope this helps Jennifer

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 14 Nov 2004 19:51

Thanks for the tips Jennifer and Kassidy, i shall give them both a go. Regards, Claire

Maxine

Maxine Report 14 Nov 2004 21:24

Hi I noticed in the family tree book there is a site which is www.a2a.org.uk, this is recomended, apparently it has catalogues, haven't looked at it myself but hope it will help. Maxine