Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any ideas?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 14 Nov 2004 18:28

Hi I'm very new to this! I've got back to my gggrandfather in Oldham ..Joseph Taylor b.1841 and married to Ann Holland 16/6/1859. I need to find Josephs parents and can't find info anywhere. Just wondering if anyone has any tips before I order his birth certificate...or is that the only way I can find out? thanks in advance Mandy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Nov 2004 18:48

You seem to know the exact date of his marriage - Does this mean that you have his marriage certificate. If so that should give his fathers name. I think the birth certificate is your best bet for both parents names. Kath. x

Helen

Helen Report 14 Nov 2004 18:50

If you order Joseph and Ann's marriage certificate it will give you both of their father's names and occupations. Is the marriage the one at Manchester Cathedral on IGI? I wasn't sure with you saying Oldham but the date matched.

Amanda

Amanda Report 14 Nov 2004 18:57

I haven't got a marriage certificate...a friend who pays for access somewhere found the details!!!.no parents details listed...yes it was at Manchester Cathedral....Oldham is now part of greater manchester so I guess its not far away Mandy

Amanda

Amanda Report 15 Nov 2004 20:21

I've had a bit of a brain-wave.....I think!! If I can find him as a child on the 1851 census, his parents should be there too and possibly other siblings!! Is there anywhere to access the census online or am I being too hopeful? Thanks again for your expert opinions....I'll get the hang of it one day!!! Mandy

Wendy

Wendy Report 16 Nov 2004 00:41

Oh Amanda, I'm sorry but you say a friend found you these details somewhere! How can you ever be sure they are your family? You really DO need proof backwards first. You need certificates or other proof back to your great grandparents before you can do anything else! Sorry Wendy

John

John Report 16 Nov 2004 06:09

Beware of assuming info will be on certs,NO NO!! just received a marriage cert i think is my G/Aunt,& the vital info is missing,her fathers name & occupation,assume nothing.

Amanda

Amanda Report 16 Nov 2004 17:40

Hi again i know that joseph is right as my friend found him on the 1881 census as head of the family with children that we know are right......i've been advised that certificates can be a bit dodgy which is why i was hoping I can access the 1851 census to find names, rather than ordering certs which may not give me the info I need. thanks again for your advice...it's all very welcome as I know I have a lot to learn! Mandy

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Nov 2004 18:21

Not sure what you mean by "dodgy" - information on censuses, certificates and anywhere else is liable to human error. You can find out what info you can expect on a cert from this site: http://home*.clara*.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd*.htm remove * to use. nell

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 16 Nov 2004 20:16

Hi, I've found information on certificates to be a lot more reliable than census. Gwynne

Maxine

Maxine Report 16 Nov 2004 21:38

Hi I notice some good advice be very careful, census can be incorrect and also certificates but I would advise you to check with relatives and get as much information as you can and double check as you could be researching the wrong ancestors, a census and certificates are a good way of verifying that you are on the right track. On one of my birth certificates the mothers surname is Leal, just found out it was spelt wrong and should have been Leat. I have also found that certificates are good for verifying mothers, father name and approx ages depending on the certificate. Hope this will be of help Maxine