Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I've hit a brick wall, help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 14 Nov 2004 11:18

I've got my grandfather marriage cert William Janes to Daisy Girdlestone in 1924(he was 29).His father is also William Janes ( no middle name for either) both are Sanitary Engineers.I've looked at likely Williams but I cant find either of them on the 1901 census or on 1837.com.I want to know when and where my grandfather was born and if he had any brothers or sisters (I think he had 2 sisters) and of course to continue to go back further.Where do I go next?Would welcome any advice,many thanks Lorraine.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2004 11:26

Are you sure Janes hasn't been mistranscribed as James? Or, dare I say it, even Jones!!!!! Where did he get married - is that a clue? Does his marriage cert have witnesses who might be siblings? If so, perhaps you could find them on the census. nell

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 14 Nov 2004 12:01

Good idea about mis-spelling of Janes. Thanks for that Helen

Brenda

Brenda Report 14 Nov 2004 14:31

hi once looking for a Jane (christian name) i found her spelt LANC . easy mistake i suppose! brenda x

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 14 Nov 2004 16:36

Thank you so much.Lyla, I'm so excited, this is Daisy.Could you tell me in laymans terms where you got your info from and what year it was recorded ,sorry I'm new to this so be gentle with me.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 15 Nov 2004 16:36

Lyla,are you still there.Thank you these do indeed seem to be Daisys parents.I do have William and Daisys marriage cert so if you have any spare time I dont know if this info will help.They married in Croydon and their address is 117 Burlington road,Thorton Heath and the date is 26 June 1924.The witnesses were Evelyn Janes and H Richardson also both of their fathers were deceased at this time.So far I've struggled to find out about Evelyn but I would guess she was born between 1902(as she does not appear to be on the 1901 census)and 1908 because surely she would have to be at least 16 to witness a marriage.I would love any more info you can find but a huge thank you for all you help so far.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 15 Nov 2004 17:24

Brilliant!Is the only way to research Evelyn to order her birth cert.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 15 Nov 2004 17:54

You've given me lots to keep me busy I'll order the birth cert and who knows maybe I'll be able to climb over that brick wall,thank you Lyla.