Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flintshire Wales

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annabel

Annabel Report 14 Nov 2004 08:44

Can any one tell me if there was a place called HARDING in Flintshire Wales in 1840 or is it mispelled in 19871 census, I have had a look at Flintshire pre 1974 but can not find it any clues. ANN

Steven

Steven Report 14 Nov 2004 09:11

Hi, IT's possibly Hawarden, as the spoken word sounds like Hardern, also this is the location of a records office!, Steve in Chester ( about six miles from Hawarden):

Annabel

Annabel Report 14 Nov 2004 09:33

Thanks Steve, I did notice Hawarden and wondered if it could be Harding looking for a Isaac Williams d/o/b 1840?. ANN

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 14 Nov 2004 10:53

Lovely villiage with great record center. See e mail. Regards Jeanie

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 14 Nov 2004 14:59

Merther and Ponty are both South Wales .... Hawarden & Flintshire are the furthest North in North Wales you can get Sioux

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2004 15:25

These are the Flintshire parishes beginning with H on GENUKI: Halkyn / Helygain Hanmer Helygain / Halkyn Higher Kinnerton Holywell / Treffynnon Greenfield / Maes Glas Hope / Yr Hôb Hawarden / Penarlâg nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2004 15:27

Found these on 1881 census, looked for Isaac Williams born Flintshire +/- 5 years of 1840: 1881 British Census - 4 Select records to download - (50 maximum) 1. Isac E. WILLIAMS - 1881 British Census / Monmouth Head Gender: Male Birth: <1836> St Asaph, Flint, Wales 2. Isaac WILLIAMS - 1881 British Census / Westmorland Head Gender: Male Birth: <1843> Tryddyn, Flint, Wales 3. Isaac WILLIAMS - 1881 British Census / Flint Head Gender: Male Birth: <1843> Whitford, Flint, Wales 4. Isaac WILLIAMS - 1881 British Census / Denbigh Head Gender: Male Birth: <1844> Kilkin, Flint, Wales nell

Seren fach

Seren fach Report 14 Nov 2004 21:31

Nell I think that the Kilkin you mention is known locally as Cilcain, which is the only way I have seen it spelt. Kilkin is the phonetic or English pronuciation of the Welsh name. Joan

Annabel

Annabel Report 15 Nov 2004 09:16

Many thanks to you all, a very kind person found him on the 1871 census for Cheshire, where I thought he was born (never take things for granted he got married in cheshire and his wife and children were born there) knew he was dead by the 1881 census, my dad always said we had Welsh roots looks like he was right, cheers ANN

Denise

Denise Report 13 Oct 2007 23:50

Yeah sounds like it is Hawarden local people tend to pronounce it Hardin'
Denise in Flint