Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How Can I Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 13 Nov 2004 21:04

I have just recently joined Genesreunited. I can't believe how generous people are with their information. I have had loads of tips and assistance off people that I don't know of which I am very grateful. One lady actually traced my maternal grandmothers death certificate for me. Thanks a million Yvonne. I just feel awful that I am unable to give anything back. Could someone advise me on the best way to do this. What downloads could I get to assist not only for myself but other people, who like me are wanting to know their roots For everybody who has helped me so far I thank you Bev

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 Nov 2004 21:14

I think most of us are addicted to this hobby because we enjoy puzzles. If we aren't solving our own, then someone else's will do very nicely, thank you! Please & thank-you go a long way towards rewarding the effort - and then when you get the chance, you put something back into the communal kitty. At least, that's what I've tried to do. It might be useful links / hints / tips. Or, if you eventually succumb to the temptation of paying for a subscription to something like Ancestry, or buy some CDs with census or parish records, then you look up and post info which people seem to need. If you have the time, you can actually offer to do look-ups, then. good hunting! Christine

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Nov 2004 00:26

You could always offer to do local graveyard look ups as and when time permits. When I'm not looking for my own dead rellies, I look for other peoples. Its purely recreational though ;-) Type "graveyards near you" into the search facility on the tips board. Best wishes Janet

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2004 09:57

Beverley Before you know it, you'll be explaining things to newbies and they will be soooo grateful. nell

Heather

Heather Report 14 Nov 2004 10:00

You could come round and do my cleaning while I sit on here all day looking for my rellies! Seriously though, it does rather restore your faith in human kindness on this board. I wouldnt have got anywhere as far as I am now without the amazing kindness of people on here. The info they have helped me with has given enormous pleasure to my father aged 90 and my elderly relatives, not to mention me!! Many thanks to everyone who have been so patient with me and my requests.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Nov 2004 10:02

And when you've done Heather's cleaning, you can entertain my babies while I try and locate rellies born at sea or who went overboard in fishing accidents! Ali

Karen

Karen Report 14 Nov 2004 10:04

Know just what you mean Heather! Could someone go to Sainsbury's for me!?!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 14 Nov 2004 10:42

My washing's been on the line for four days now. If you could just bring it in and iron it for me that would be a great help! Janet

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 14 Nov 2004 12:06

Sometimes the easiest way to help someone is to look at a brickwall with a fresh pair of eyes.

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 14 Nov 2004 12:52

Hi Beverley. What a nice thought. Yes, its always nice to receive help, and help others if you can in return. I race around the boards looking for Australian request's, and try to help where i can. Being an Ozzie, i carry most BMD's on Australia. So if i see someone looking for a lost Ancestor that may have come to Australia or Tasmania, i offer to have look to see if i can find them. And if i can, i get a bit of a Buzz out of it. If i can help just one person find one lost Ancestor in Oz, it makes me feel good. I cant help everyone, as much as would love to. But people on this site have helped me, so i try to put back in, in some small way. If you live in a specific County,or State ( in my case ) and have knowledge of that area, or carry Index's or records of this, I'm sure people would be greatful for a little knowledge. Especially guys like me who live on the other side of the World looking for a lost ancestor in the U.K Cheers. Tony in Victoria, Australia.

Heather

Heather Report 14 Nov 2004 12:59

By the way, FreeBMD are always looking for accurate transcribers if you check out their website. I did do that for a while but family probs overtook.

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 14 Nov 2004 13:27

Beverley, can I send my 15 year old daughter to you until she returns to being a human being....say at about 25 ????

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 14 Nov 2004 16:42

Don't mind doing some legwork and stuff but I don't even do my own ironing if I can help it... and as far as kids are concerned I think my son reckons he has become a geneology orphan!! Seriously though if anyone needs any lookups in the Tameside, Manchester area. Graveyards etc. Give us a shout Bev