Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what disks should i get?-

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 13 Nov 2004 15:47

following on from the thread further down the page - i have been thinking of buying some disks or subscribing to one of the paying sites i am researching relatives in essex sussex wales and somerset (at the moment!) i have been looking at buying a cd for one of the cemeteries in glamorgan where i know a lot of relatives would be buried - but that was before i realised about the nbi - is it worth buying the nbi? that way you can kill many birds with one stone - hopefully are there any other cds that wopuld cover many areas such as census or would you have to buy the indidvidual area- or would it be better to scrap that & subscribe to one of the other sites? whats your opinion?? im not quite sure! many thanks sam

Anne

Anne Report 13 Nov 2004 16:00

You can check the coverage of the NBI on the website FamilyHistoryOnline.*net. There is a lot of areas completely covered but I'm glad I checked because it does NOT cover the parishes and times I needed. It has been built up by data compiled by Family History Societies and I think it depends on how far they got before the deadline! If your research covers many counties it might be better to suscribe to Ancestry - not something I've done as most of mine are in just two counties. Anne

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 13 Nov 2004 16:10

Hi Samantha How about having a look at the Family History Societies websites for the areas you are researching. They have often transcribed Monumental Inscriptions and parish registers themselves. They can sometimes be quite cheap too. Jeanette x