Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI army records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 13 Nov 2004 11:06

I tracked my grandfathers WWI record. Northamptonshire Regiment 21476. In national archives i found record card R.Fus 171. seems he joined 24.8.1914 discharged 21.2.1916 his death is registered in quarter ended march 1916. No medals listed but the family have medals British war Medal,Victory medal,THe silver war badge and 1914 star. on the back of the star is 171 pte. J.Moores 4/R Fus. The number stamped on the back of the war badge is 424983. His record is in the name of Moorer and the number is the same so I think the miss spelling of Moorer to Moores is strange. Any idea of how I can check the records of Northamptonshire Regiment or how I can contact them. He was 41 when he joined.----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fern

Fern Report 13 Nov 2004 11:15

Hi, I would like to find my great, great uncle's army records do you have the website address which could find them for me. I know he was in the Devonshire regiment and died in 1916 in the Battle of the Sommes. Fern Blackman.

John

John Report 13 Nov 2004 11:56

Fern If you check LDS online libary you can see the list of what is available on film,i had a friend of mine go & look through them (poor sod i owe him )you might be dissapointed much is missing.

Fern

Fern Report 13 Nov 2004 13:49

Hi John, Thanks you for that will give it a go. Good luck with your research. Fern.

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 Nov 2004 15:33

Hi Don't know whether the regimental museum would have anything helpful. You can find the contact info via: http://www.armymuseums.org.uk Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Nov 2004 17:11

The National Archives have some info about military records. I believe about 60% of the records they held were burnt, so its pot luck if they have what you want. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/ You could also try googling the regiment's name. There's WW1 info here as well: www*.1914-1918*.net/ remove * before using. Nell

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 13 Nov 2004 18:09

thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will have to visit the National archives. The medals are with my cousins in Canada to I will have to make more enquiries. Any details of the Northamptonshire regiment would be appreciated

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 13 Nov 2004 19:59

The Link I gave you has a search-function so you can find any army museum (all being well). I thought that would be more useful - in case you find you need other regimental museums for another bit of tree. It lists all the likely contact info and the opening hours etc. The museums won't have person-specific stuff in the sense of personnel records, but they may have things about your grandfather. For instance, the Green Howards Museum sent me a whole lot of interesting stuff about my grandfather's WW1 times - the regimental war diary, some copies of their mag where his name was mentioned. They ask for a fee - but then it is professional time that's being used and they have a museum to fund. I regarded it as a donation. I was fortunate that his personnel record was one of those that had survived the WW2 blitz and was at Kew - along with his elder brother's (whose regimental museum had also looked out stuff for me.) Christine