Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two husbands names on a marraige entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Nov 2004 19:44

Could anyone explain to me why an entry on the bmd index would have McGowan (woman's maiden name) marrying Kennedy OR Murphy. We conjured up wonderful mental images of a drunken Irish wedding but there is actually a similar entry lower down the same page with two husband's names given. Is there some code here I am not aware of?

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 19:56

Is this on Freebmd or Ancestry? If so, it just means the other person involved hasn't been transcribed yet and it will eventually give 2 males and 2 females on the page Ali

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Nov 2004 19:59

This is the 1871

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Nov 2004 20:01

What rubbish am I talking - Dyslexia rules KO It's the 1837! ( online)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 12 Nov 2004 20:08

I had an entry for a woman Tocqueville or Cera. In my case it was a divorcee maiden name Tocqueville divorced wife of Christien Cera. Perhaps your man was known by both names. (Perhaps born Kennedy then upon parents marriage or informal adoption Murphy) Janet

Pamela

Pamela Report 12 Nov 2004 20:17

Thanks Janet, I did wonder about that.We are actually going to send for the marraige certificate now I think which might clear it up. Pam

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Nov 2004 22:20

If the marriage is in one of the areas where there's a local BMD website, you can sometimes search on both names to get a proper match. Even if you search on only one name, you get the correct match of name - and the place where they married. In most cases you still have to order by post, altho' the search process generates a partially completed application form, so that saves some hassle. There are some which don't have such a clear system and some where you can order online. They, too, are incomplete though, so it's a bit of a matter of luck whether you find anything. I've been fairly lucky. http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ has a list of Local BMD sites, and lists when they were last updated. Christine PS - the Local info is the source data for GRO, so it's one transcription less.