Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2004 10:48

Thanks to the very kind help of some of the members on here, I have found my husbands maternal line. These are the Rigbys in the Liverpool area. However, the names are so strange, can anyone suggest (apart from the mother and father being barking) why they would name their kids - Boudicea, Abraham, Louie, Moses and Socrates??? They appear to have married in a main line church so what possessed them?

Anne

Anne Report 12 Nov 2004 12:25

Those are great names! I have no idea, I'm sorry, why they would use them but it makes tracing them a lot easier! Anne

Pat

Pat Report 12 Nov 2004 12:27

Heather, I don't know what years you have but one side of mine are Job, Samuel, Uriah, Ebenezer, Ezekiel, Rebecca, Sarah, Thomas, all bibical names this is 1850-1870's they were Church of England. Funny the other lot they married into had no names like that William, Alfred, Harry, Benjamin, John, Matilda and Elizabeth, these names carried on through the generations, but not the real unusual bibical ones. I think there was sort of fashion in names back then just like we see today. Some of yours I havent come across in my lot yet. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 14:58

I have one line with 8 children,all names beginning with S. It must have got very confusing at home but certainly made searching 1837 easier cos they're all on the same page! Ali

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2004 21:00

Actually guys, it hasnt made it easier to trace them, I certainly cant find any Socrates or Boudicea getting married. Perhaps they changed their names to Sid and Doris for their marriages - and who could blame them? I can understand (just about) some religious couple naming all their kids with biblical names - hence the Abraham and Moses but Louie, Boudicea and Socrates? Makes no sense at all unless the guys was an avid reader (about the only ones at that time in my family tree who werent ag labs/herdsmen or dockers) The wife actually had her own furntiure business!

JG70

JG70 Report 12 Nov 2004 21:02

We've got a Abraham and Louie, but you've beat me on the others! I used to chuckle at great Uncle Noah - but Socrates!! Jacquie