Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two different birth certs - is that possible?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 08:03

I have been searching for a Joseph Light born 1874 IOW, and found his birth cert. Then it was mentioned that this Joseph used at some stage the surname Willett so I looked up Joseph Willett and low and behold there was a Joseph Willett same qtr and year plus IOW. His mother was a Ann Light. Could Ann have given Joseph his fathers surname (Willett) hoping that she would marry him but did'nt so she decided to register Joseph again under Light? Lin

Kim

Kim Report 12 Nov 2004 08:27

Without seeing the birth certificates it would be hard to say it may be worth ringing the local register office and seeing what they had to say. I know around 1870s that it became illegal to register the father's name without him being present when the child was registered but I think you would need to see the birth certifcates before guessing what happened. Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 08:30

That's what I was thinking - Where's that credit card. ttfn Lin

Val wish I'd never started

Val wish I'd never started Report 12 Nov 2004 12:09

hi just looked on familysearch and on the 1881 census there is a Joseph Light(James) age 8 born in IOW to a Ann Light (James) age 41 born Romsey Hampshire other children George Light(James) age 11 born in Sussex. Pashens Light (James) girl age 5 born IOW Noah Light (James) age 4 born Yapton in Sussex could this be the one you are looking for maybe his mother had married a Mr James lived at New Forest Bartley Green Hampshire

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 12 Nov 2004 12:58

are the page numbers the same? If the register entry names both parents and their surnames are different, it will be put in the index twice. This doesn't mean there were two registrations

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 13:07

These two entries are the same person - forgot to mentioned father unknown, and they are gypsies which does not make it very easy. Yes the Joseph Light (James) is the same unfortunately Ann Light did not marry Obas James either. Lin

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Nov 2004 15:26

Hello There's a searchable BMD site for IoW events, run by the IoW FHS: http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.*co.uk/ (remove asterisk) On it I found (in 1874): Name ApproximateDate of birth Other Surname District Reference WILLETT, Joseph 1874 LIGHT Cowes C22/E196 There was no result when I put him in as Joseph Light. The ref is a link to an application form for the Local Register Office. As these constitute the source data fo GRO, I'd say the local cert will be a better document for your purposes. Same price, though! Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Nov 2004 15:33

Had a look at marriages for Ann LIGHT between 1870-1890: Bride & Groom Date Place Reference 1871 LIGHT, Ann & ARNOLD, Albert 1871 Register Office or Nonconformist / RC Church RO16/138 There were no records for WILLET(T) or WILLIT(T). it's possible that they haven't got it all transcribed online yet. So these results aren't necessarily conclusive. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 15:34

Thanks Christine will have a rummage ttfn Lin

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 12 Nov 2004 15:37

On the other hand... I thought it would be interesting to see how many WILLETTs were born on IoW 1837-1890. There were only four: 1873: WILLETT, Victor, John, Austen 1873 COVEY Godshill G17/E484 1874: WILLETT, Joseph 1874 LIGHT Cowes C22/E196 (as above) 1876: WILLETT, Patience 1876 LIGHT Cowes C23/E482 1878: WILLETT, Walter, Glynn, Austen 1878 COVEY Godshill G20/E463 intriguing! Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Nov 2004 15:55

Thanks Christine Yes this Joseph Willett is Joseph Light and Patience Willet is Pashens Light (James) in the 1881 census. When she married her name was Pasha which is true gypsie name. I'll have to ask what the story is behind why Willet changed their name to Light. Many thanks for your time much appreciated Lin