Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pop Ups

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vera

Vera Report 12 Nov 2004 00:35

I have had terrible problems with pop ups and after putting a message on here a few days ago was advised by Judy in the States that toolbars are often the problem. I have deleted my toolbar and hey presto no more pop ups - great. I had Yahoo Companion and the crazy thing is I only got it in the first place because it had a pop up blocker on it. So if you are having problems try taking your toolbar off it has certainly worked for me.

Sean

Sean Report 12 Nov 2004 08:12

Hi Vera I suggest you consider installing the Mozilla browser as an alternative to IE : you can download it from http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/ It is more up to date than IE, so works better, but it also has built-in features for blocking banner ads and pop-ups. The download is simple and user-friendly and you can use it alongside IE. When you get used to it, you can transfer your IE favorites to it as well Regards Sean

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 15 Nov 2004 13:43

I have suffered an onslaught of Pop Up Ads in the last week, since I upgraded to MSN Messenger 6.2 :(( I wouldn't mind by I have Ad-Ware; SpyGuard and Spyware Blaster loaded as well as McAfee - dont have any 'tool bars' - what more can I do???

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2004 13:50

If you're running XP then have you installed Service Pack 2? The latest version of IE which comes with that seems to block most pop-ups.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 15 Nov 2004 13:54

Hi Richard - yes I am on XP, but have steered clear of SP2 after all the bad reports......

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 15 Nov 2004 13:57

I installed it a month or so ago, and the only problem I've had to date is that I can't download my internet banking statements as CSV files any more (they just open up in a browser window instead!). I had to reset a few security settings, etc but apart from that it was trouble-free.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 15 Nov 2004 14:00

I guess it's worth a try then? I had seen conflicting reports on the boards here tho. What security settings do I need to focus on and how?? Anne :))