Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do i go about finding someone's maiden name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 11 Nov 2004 19:03

I'm looking for my aunt's maiden name but dunno where to look.. can anyone help? she married my uncle a while ago i don't know her name before so it makes my family tree stuck.. please help!

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 11 Nov 2004 19:10

if you know where & when they where married - try ording a birth certifacte

Victoria

Victoria Report 11 Nov 2004 19:26

Hi, If you know when they were married you can have a look on 1837.com and then order the marriage certificate. Her maiden name and date of birth will be on there, so you can then trace back from that. Vicky

Lucky

Lucky Report 11 Nov 2004 19:45

If it's fairly recent shouldn't it tell you on 1837 online the maiden name of the bride, if you find the reference?? Diane yes it does. Just checked mine in 1980 and husbands surname is also on there, don't know when this started but well worth a look.

Irene

Irene Report 11 Nov 2004 19:53

They started to put the partners name mid 1911, also mid 1911 they started to put the mothers maiden in the births. Irene

Diane

Diane Report 11 Nov 2004 23:27

Hi, The bmdindex site has excellent coverage of marriages 1984-2002, you don't even have to spend a credit to view the spouses name. It is very useful for deaths, gives the date of birth. Diane NSW Australia

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Nov 2004 07:23

Did they have any children? The child's birth entry on the GRO index will have the maiden name beside it even if your aunt married under a later name.eg if she was married to someone before your uncle.