Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newbie would like some advice, please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 10 Nov 2004 11:42

Hello, I'm fairly new to this site, and to Family history Research, although I have been meaning to start for years! Anyway, I have done quite a bit of work on the available UK online sites, but wonder - is it worth subscribing to Ancestry. Com? I would value any opinions from seasoned researchers.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Nov 2004 11:48

Hi and welcome! First of all, have you looked at the getting started tips? Scroll down your homepage and you will find a section there. As for Ancestry - I'm a great fan of it. I've found lots of useful information on there, plus you can save and print copies of the actual census images. But have a look to see if there's currently a 14 day free trial to see if the counties you want are on there. Apparently, it's also cheaper to subscribe via the (.)com site instead of the co(.)uk site, and pay in dollars. Good luck and happy hunting! Mandy :)

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 10 Nov 2004 11:54

It depends on what you are looking for. I have been doing this for 4 years and finally subscribed to ancestry earlier this year. Within a few days I had found my elusive great grandparents. If you are looking for someone on 1901 it is helpful as my grt grandmther had remarried by then. I was able to search for all Selina's in London, born Southampton aged 44. No surname needed. Janet

Sidami

Sidami Report 10 Nov 2004 12:56

Still working. http://infotrac(.)galegroup(.)com/itweb/perr67691 Try getting into Ancestry with this addy it is free Don't forget to remove those annoying brackets that we have to use. Been on it tonight Sue..............

Wendy

Wendy Report 10 Nov 2004 18:10

I have just tried free ancestry at the address shown and it asks for a password. Cannot get in. Wendy

Geoff

Geoff Report 10 Nov 2004 18:19

A couple of weeks ago, the password was perr_log

Penny

Penny Report 11 Nov 2004 13:48

Thanks all - just one thing - is the free link working, that password does not seen to be correct now?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 11 Nov 2004 22:41

Try http://www.gale.ancestry.com/ggmain.htm.This was the only one I could get in on a few weeks ago.Dont know if it still works.It wont allow you to see census records though.If you get in save to favourites.I can still get in that way