Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice please - where next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 10 Nov 2004 09:26

George Poll born 1823 please see my reply.

Susan

Susan Report 10 Nov 2004 09:28

I've been trying to trace the baptism of George Poll born c. 1823 to get details of his parents. The 1841 and 1851 Suffolk Census give place of birth as Brandon Suffolk. The 1861 and 1871 Census state place of birth as Wilton Norfolk. Suffolk Records Office have searched the Brandon Register for 1819 to 1829 and Norfolk Records Office have searched Hockwold with Wilton Register for the same period but neither have found any mention of George Poll. Am I at the end of the road? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Sue

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 10 Nov 2004 10:00

Hi Susan. Dont know if this makes it better or worse. The I.G.I shows 3 George POLL bapt. George POLL 18th Jan 1825 Beccles,Sulfolk. Father: Richard POLL. Mother: Sarah BAKER. George POLL b. 1823 Brandon,Suffolk ( No Parents listed.) There was also another George POLL b.1831 Brisley, Norfolk Father: George. Mother: Sarah. Tony.

Susan

Susan Report 10 Nov 2004 14:24

Hi Tony Thanks for the info. The Brandon 1823 reference is the one I have had checked out by the Records Office and that doesn't exist, which proves not too much reliance can be placed on the IGI!! I didn't know about the other two so I will certainly pursue those a bit further. Thanks for your help. Sue

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 10 Nov 2004 18:50

Hi I've had a look on this site; http://www.genealogy.doun.org/ but there's nothing relevant there, yet, so far as I can tell. However, it's the kind of site which may grow, so it's worth having a look from time to time. It has all sorts of Norfolk records, transcribed, searchable, free. Christine

Susan

Susan Report 10 Nov 2004 19:26

Thanks Christine, I'll bookmark that one for future reference. Sue