Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestion for a good surname dictionary please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Nov 2004 12:36

Hi, I've had a look online, but can't seem to find one that is free. So i have resigned myself to having to buy one, any suggestions for one that covers unusual names as well as the more common ones as i've had a look in a few yesterday and they didn't have my names in :0( names that I am particularly interested in are: cadness funrival bulman dunn lonsdale smith curry dodd nuttall so if there's one out there that covers all of these please let me know! thanks, Vicky

Joy

Joy Report 9 Nov 2004 12:53

I just "google" searched and found some online. Hope these help. Joy Last Name Meanings Dictionary... last names! Surname dictionary and genealogy helps include names of Irish, German, English, French, Italian, and Jewish descent. ... www.last-names.net/ - 13k - 7 Nov 2004 - Cached - Similar pages Surname - Dictionary Definition by freesearch... . ... www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/surname - Similar pages Surname Finder -- Genealogy Surnames Search Directory... English and Welsh Surname Dictionary. This database is a dictionary of English and Welsh surnames. It describes the origin of each ... www.surnamefinder.com/ - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Nov 2004 13:07

Hi Joy, thanks for that. unfortunately I had tried those three. the first one claims to be a dictionary but when you search it takes you to a page that asks you to join ancestry for 14 day trial. second & third don't have definitions of any of my names :0( apart from smith. thanks again though joy.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Nov 2004 14:04

How much would you use it Vicky? Could you look up what you need at a library. A good one would probably cost quite alot and once you had found the information on your surnames it might just be left on the shelf.

Anne

Anne Report 9 Nov 2004 14:08

I have just been given 'A Dictionary of English Surnames' by Reany and Wilson published by Oxford University Press. It has some but not all your names. I find it the same, it is the rare names you want to find out about but they are not in, despite the book containing over 16,000 English names. You wouldn't think it possible! Anne

Victoria

Victoria Report 9 Nov 2004 15:18

yeah, you are right. it is the unusual names that I am really interested in! going to the local library is porbably the best idea as you suggest. save me from spending on something that i'll probably only use once. thank you all

Victoria

Victoria Report 23 Nov 2004 16:57

hello, thanks for those that have made suggestions. I have tried all of the above and not got anywhere unfortunately. if anyone has a sir name dictionary sitting near them would you be kind enough to take a look in it and see if my names are in there? If they are can you tell me what your book is called so I can get myself a copy?! thanks, Vicky

Montmorency

Montmorency Report 23 Nov 2004 17:10

The only really good books are the English Surnames Series, one per county, only half a dozen counties done so far, and the man who did most of those (Richard McKinley) is no longer living. Old books are mostly guesswork because it was too difficult then to see and study enough records. Furnival's a good name to have in your tree though. It's an Anglo-Norman gentry name, from Fourneval in Normandy. The Furnivals inherited Hallamshire by marriage and lived in Sheffield Castle.

JG70

JG70 Report 23 Nov 2004 17:24

*****If anyone wants Yorkshire surnames see my thread on the records board.************************************ Jacquie

Cali

Cali Report 25 Nov 2004 19:12

The surname dictionary on Ancestry is pretty good. I've just had a quick look and found Curry, Nuttall, Lonsdale, Bulman and Dunn.

Victoria

Victoria Report 27 Nov 2004 12:07

thanks for your replies! Robin - thanks for that information, I actually live in Sheffield at the moment so thats a very interesting revelation!