Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 8 Nov 2004 23:50

Just started doing my tree, got all the info off the family that I'm giong to get. Dont know how to start looking on the net? Can anyone tell me what to do (in laymans language please) how to look up census and records, ta!

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Nov 2004 00:08

Lesley On the homepage of the website, if you scroll down, you will find Genealogy Resources. This has a section on Getting Started and also some links to other websites. civil registration (births marriages and deaths) free to search on FreeBMD - see the link, or google - but not yet complete. Good for the later half of the 19th century and very beginning of 20th. Civil registration began 1837. Before then, life events were recorded in parish registers. Many of these are transcribed on the IGI (International Genealogical Index) which you can access from www.familysearch.org - this site also has the 1881 census transcription and is free. The 1901 census is available and the index is free, but you pay to see the entries. 1891 and 1871 censuses are available from Ancestry. nell nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Nov 2004 00:17

Have a look at Sarah's handy hints thread on the Records Board, it's excellent