Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

your opinions please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sean and  Ray

Sean and Ray Report 8 Nov 2004 19:16

Would value anyones opinion on the following as its beginning to do my head in !lol I managed to track down my gg grandads marriage cert patrick john rooney , who was born in 1869 and married in 1900. The witness on the certificate was john Patrick rooney , I thought yippee it must be his brother ! , I checked the census for 1901 and there was only one john patrick rooney in the same district as my gg grandfather ,but 19 years older .. I managed to order his wedding cert also , hoping 1. fathers name would be the same , and 2. Patrick john my gg grandfather would be a witness at the wedding ! . turns out the fathers name is different and my ggg was not a witness, Would like you to let me know what you all think…. In % ‘s how likely do you think it is that this witness at my gg granddads wedding with such a simlar name living in the same area is a relative…and who do you think he may be ?

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2004 19:23

Sean Could be a cousin. Did your ggrandfather have any brothers who may have had children. Sometimes it was very common for several members of the same family (brothers, cousins, children etc) to have the same name. It was a kind of tradition Ali

Anne

Anne Report 9 Nov 2004 13:41

If he's 19 years older couldn't it be his father? Hmmm, no I suppose his name is already there anyway. Sorry - no help at all! Anne PS What about an Uncle? His dad's brother?

Carole

Carole Report 9 Nov 2004 16:58

Have you looked for him on previous censuses, you may find him in a household with another name you recognise. Carole

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2004 12:37

At a wild guess, his uncle?

Sean and  Ray

Sean and Ray Report 24 Nov 2004 12:37

have checked census and found him living with other rooneys , but not ones i recognise , maybe they are relatives i didnt know about ?...they lived warrington , my g grandad lived salford, so not too far away...

Peter

Peter Report 24 Nov 2004 14:40

99% chance that they are related if not directly then say 2nd cousins or even 3rd Familys from that time were a lot closer than they are now it was not unusual for several genarations to live (and meet) in the same area. I have several close family groups in my tree. untill the 1900 not one of them lived more than 2 miles from the rest.