Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are "Ancestry" getting mean,or...?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 8 Nov 2004 18:47

Please can ayone tell me if I am going wrong. I was told I could look up a name on 1871 census and would find age, and chance to view other members of the household before I payed my £7, in pay per view, but when I typed in family name today it went straight to pay, before I could find any other information. There were a large number of people with the same name, so I could be spending a fortune.Have I been advised incorrectly, or have Ancestry got meaner? Thanks Sheila.

Heidi

Heidi Report 8 Nov 2004 18:57

hi....seems a little odd...i paid £22 to use it for 3 months....i found it cheaper that was as you get ulimited credits

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Nov 2004 19:04

Hi Sheila I've had exactly the same thing. I don't subscribe but I used to be able to view the other members of the household but not the actual image. Now all I can see is the person's name without being directed to the paying section. Ali

Karen

Karen Report 8 Nov 2004 20:02

Hi Sheila Theyve definately done something. Ive been a guest member for over a year but when I tried to do a search last week it wouldnt let me get further than the inital search screen where I put the persons name in and as soon as I ask it to search it tells me I need to pay to see the info :-( Karen

Lucky

Lucky Report 8 Nov 2004 22:24

I found the same. Only a few days ago if you clicked on a name you got the other people in the household too. Now it goes straight to the upgrade screen.

Peter

Peter Report 9 Nov 2004 10:06

I'm a guest member.......only response to an enquiry on ALL censuses is to ask for money........oo er!

Heather

Heather Report 9 Nov 2004 11:04

Hi I paid about £70 for a whole year - unlimited usage. I think that at about £1.50 a week that is a pretty good deal for the amount of info you can find and you dont feel restricted in trying all different spellings, or entering different places etc. Find amazing bits of info by being a bit imaginative - but I wouldnt try that if I was paying per view!

Sheila

Sheila Report 10 Nov 2004 10:49

Thankyou everyone...looks like I was right . All you can view for nothing is a name, not age and other family members as you used to.I will use pay per view .not a yearly subscription etc. because I can budget better, instead of laying out money all at once. Like may folk I am researching on a very tight budget.Ancestry held a small survey a while back and asked for comments and I said please try and keep things at a fair price as many of us are retired or not in work etc. but as with this modern world it falls on deaf ears and they do the opposite. However I am finding out so much wonderful stuff with great help from fellow Genes reunited serchers that I shall keep shelling out the cash. Thanks to you all .