Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificate Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Nov 2004 21:25

Can anyone tell me, please, which gets written out first - the certificate of marriage or the entry in the Church Register? I have a photocopy of a marriage certificate, 1859. The groom's address is given, rather vaguely as Miles Platting. The Bride's address is clearly written as SMITH ST. However, the entry on the Church Register says, equally clearly, SOUTH ST. Which would have been written out first? (Its an academic question really, I cant find either Smith St or South St in 1859 in Miles Platting!)

Judith

Judith Report 7 Nov 2004 21:36

The parish register is filled in and signed on the day of the marriage so is more likely to have correct address.The married couple get a certificate which is filled in at the same time but if you have a copy certificate provided by the GRO it was copied from a copy of original register which was submitted at the end of the quarter.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Nov 2004 21:44

Thankyou for that, Judith. I didnt make it clear that the cert I have is from the local records office, not the GRO. I guess I must just accept it was a clerical error and that one of them is right! Thankyou again for replying. Marjorie