Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding other children from a marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 7 Nov 2004 10:22

I have managed to trace the marriage of my great grandparents in 1866 but as this was nearly 20 years before my grandfather's birth I am wondering if there were other children born earlier. Does anyone know how I can find this out?

Kim

Kim Report 7 Nov 2004 10:28

I would think your best option would be to try and find the parents on the 1871 /1881 census and see who is with them. try the records office boards for a look up . Kim

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 7 Nov 2004 10:29

Hi Robert Have you found the family on any of the censuses? Post some names etc on here and we'll see what we can do Jeanette x

NicolaDunbyNocula

NicolaDunbyNocula Report 7 Nov 2004 10:29

One way you could find out, is by checking the census records. Nicola

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 7 Nov 2004 11:42

Hi Robert Have you tried the LDS site? Not everything by an means is on there, and you have to double check what you find as it is not always accurate, but it is a very good start if you do find names. This is how to do it: Go to the site (familysearch.org) and into the IGI. Then put the fathers name (first and surname) into the boxes for father, put in the mother's first name only in her box. Change event to birth/christening. I sometimes leave the dates blank depending on the surname I am searching, but you could put date of the birth you have and a year range of 20 which will search 20 years either side for you. Change region to British Isles and country to England, and then click search. This will produce a list of everyone on the IGI database who was born or christened with parents of the names you specified. You can then pick out the ones who appear in the right area for you, and track them down on the census afterwards. It's fantastic when you get a result. Good hunting. Tina

Robert

Robert Report 7 Nov 2004 13:31

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try Tina's suggestion first as I have hit a brick wall with the census. The only one which lists them is the 1901 census when my grandfather was 17, by which time any older children would most probably have left. I'll keep searching and any further suggestions would be gratefully received.

Margaret

Margaret Report 7 Nov 2004 13:51

Robert Try searching the parish registers for their baptisms. Do check for burials as well though, as many children died in infancy. Margaret