Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry.com- what does it cover?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jay

Jay Report 6 Nov 2004 22:37

Hi, I keep getting e-mails from Ancestry re signing up. What exactly does the info cover,as it seems to be mainly US -based looking at the blurb, but there seems to be a lot of people on these message boards saying they found their rellies on it. Or are they American rellies? And how do you convert from dollars to get some idea of cost? Jay.

Heather

Heather Report 6 Nov 2004 22:40

Hi there, I just re-subscribed to ancestry. Go to ancestry uk - It costs about £70 for a year. You can use it 24/7. There are many census plus Pallots, bmd, tons of stuff. Why dont you do a 2 week trial and see if you think it is worth staying on there. I think its brilliant personally and well worth the what £1.50 a week? As I said, check out the ancestry uk site.

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 6 Nov 2004 22:41

You need to look at the UK site for British and Irish records. They have the 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses, the BMD index (which they get from FreeBMD) and various other directories, registers and rolls. Apparently it's cheaper to pay for the subscription in dllars because of the exchange rate - and someone said something about not being charged VAT if you pay in dollars.

Heather

Heather Report 6 Nov 2004 22:43

Hey, I still got charged the tax although I paid in dollars!