Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LDS Query....What is available?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorna

Lorna Report 6 Nov 2004 18:57

I was asked today what was available at an LDS centre, that was not available on their on line site...........and as i have never visited an LDS centre yet, I hoped everyone here could answer it for me. Can you do searches that are not available on line etc?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 6 Nov 2004 19:03

Hi, Go to the familysearch web site and click on the tab at the top that says library. Then click on catalog. Then placename search for the parish or town you want. The LDS have filmed thousands of parish records which are not available online but you can order the films at your nearest centre for a small fee and view them there. Gwynne

Jay

Jay Report 6 Nov 2004 19:13

Hi Lorna, There is a lot more available from the LDS centres than is available online. You can order films of parish registers for a small charge, and also the census records for areas other than the one you live in.ie;1841,51/61/71 which aren`t online. You have to book at ours for a film reader, but I think it`s a brilliant service that the volunteers provide. Jay.

Lorna

Lorna Report 6 Nov 2004 19:22

Thanks for that, maybe I shall ring my local one and see when its open

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Nov 2004 22:07

I have to agree with all that - I have spent hour upon hour in my local LDS FHC, trawling through Parish Registers which I wouldnt have had a chance to see otherwise, being some 400 miles from my research area. The staff are all trained, extremely helpful and knowledgable - and they are not allowed to mention their religion. They have often given me ideas when Im up against that old brickwall. All this is free, except for a small charge for ordering films. I tend to give a donation now and then, to show my appreciation - but they never ask for one, and seem pleasantly surprised. Go for it - you wont be disappointed, I dont think.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 6 Nov 2004 22:42

How do you find out where your local LDS centre is? Do you go to the one closest to you or do you have to go to the one closest to where the info would be? Example: I need to look at the parish registers for St. Michaels in Folkestone. According to Familysearch.org the film is held at Canterbury Cathedral. So how do I view it? So far all my research has been online but now I am at the stage where I will need to branch out a bit but don't know where to go. Many thanks, Lorraine

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Nov 2004 23:08

Yes I've found the people at the LDS FHC welcoming though it depends which days you go as to how au fait they are with everything. However the regulars also have a lot of advice and information to impart and when I went I found someone researching the same town which was useful when I'd ordered films that they could look at too.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Nov 2004 23:30

Lorraine, Just go to your nearest centre (a list should be on their website) and you can order films for the area you are researching. Kath. x

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 7 Nov 2004 13:11

nudge

Trouble

Trouble Report 7 Nov 2004 13:24

Due to this posting, I checked and found that there is an Office right near me in Holland, I will call them Monday to find out if they hold UK records - fingers crossed everyone!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 7 Nov 2004 13:32

Hi Tracie, They probably won't hold UK records but they will be able to order them for you for a small fee. Gwynne