Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help! Death Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 6 Nov 2004 18:57

Some help would be appreciated. I have found, I think and hope, some information relating to my grandfather's death. I have the quarter and year in which he died, the area and the volume no, (I think it is). As I am really not sure whether or not it is him but obvioiusly if I have sight of the certificate I can confirm this but obviously don't want to purchase it unless I am reasonably sure. Can anyone suggest any way in which I can obtain further info from the certificate to confirm what I am looking for. A long message and difficult to write - I hope I have explained myself properly as this is all quite new to me. Thanks in anticipation!

Anne

Anne Report 6 Nov 2004 19:01

You can put some checking details on the bottom of the online order form and if it is not the right certificate the GRO will refund £4 of the £7 it costs. If you fill in the form with the GRO reference numbers and then scroll down you'll find the place. Anne

Geoff

Geoff Report 6 Nov 2004 19:21

I assume you know the age as well. I'm not too sure what you can check on - occupation? He could have dropped dead in the street or the informant could have been a doctor/nurse, neither of which you would know.

Gillian

Gillian Report 6 Nov 2004 20:52

Hi - thanks for your suggestions, I shall follow them up with the small amount of info that I have. Thanks again.

Gillian

Gillian Report 7 Nov 2004 09:53

Now that everyone is up and about again, does anyone else have any further suggestions. Thank you.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Nov 2004 13:45

Gillian If your grandfather had a very common name, it would be hard to know if the death cert ref you have found is his. On the other hand, if his age at death is right, his name is not that common and his death was registered where you expected him to die, then it probably is him. I don't know what other info you can ask the GRO to check before issuing a cert - it will have the place and date of his death, his former occupation, the address and occupation of the person who registered the death and the cause(s) of death. Do you have an exact address where he lived, or an idea of what he died of? Do you know what his occupation was? nell