Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is 1837 online .com worth joining??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 6 Nov 2004 17:07

Can someone please tell me if 1837 online is a site worth joining ,i am trying to trace family in East London around 1884s.

Carol

Carol Report 6 Nov 2004 17:40

At least you can try it out with as little as a fiver. If you dont like it, then you need not spend any more. I spent quite a lot on it and bought about 2000 credits, and with the larger amounts, it works out cheaper per credit. All a matter of personal opinion, some people like it, some don`t. Just give it a try and see for yourself.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 17:52

Hi Brian, 1837 is the GRO index for births, marriages and deaths and it's pay-per-view as opposed to subscription. It would work out expensive if you didn't have a rough idea of what you were looking for, in which case you'd be best to try free sites first like LDS, FreeBMD or even the Ancestry free trial. Saying that, it's still a brilliant site and I've used it a lot. I started off by buying £5 worth, but then bought in bulk! Not only do the credits work out cheaper, but they have a longer finish date as well. Hope this helps, Mandy :)

Paul

Paul Report 6 Nov 2004 19:44

As has been said, the site is a pay per view rather than a subscription. With the improved search ability, and the addition of overseas records, it can be worthwhile in finding references. That is if they were registered in the first place!?!?!? Paul

JG70

JG70 Report 6 Nov 2004 20:09

I think it's good, if it wasn't for that I'd never have found out about my Granny's secret sister!! Most of us have no chance of going to the Kew records centre. Jacquie

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Nov 2004 20:43

I have found it very useful. Though as other people have said, it is no good for looking if you don't know at least the year or those credits get gobbled up in no time! mind you, they don't cost that much. but it also takes a while to load each page too if you haven't got the benefit of broadband.

Joy

Joy Report 6 Nov 2004 21:56

It is, as said, pay per view, so can be expensive, all depends. However, for BMDs, I prefer anyway to personally search through fiche at a records office, or main library, or the big books at the Family Records Centre in London - very satisfying if, I mean when you find someone. Joy

Winifred

Winifred Report 7 Nov 2004 01:15

I would say that it certainly worth joining. A friend of mine managed to trace her half-sister that she did not know anything about through this site. I have done some research on my own family with good results. This site is well worth every penny.

Heike

Heike Report 7 Nov 2004 19:16

Am I correct in assuming that basically the results I find there just tell me whether the incident I'm looking for actually occurred in that year or not and that another benefit is that it gives me the index no. I need to order the actual certificate? Or are there any other benefits that I haven't uncovered yet? I read that some people found new relatives via this site, how would that work? When I saw the sample image they have of the births, I was a bit disappointed as it only shows a row of names. Couldn't I just order the birth certificate of an ancestor directly from gro.gov.uk if I know the name and birth year? Sorry if that questions sounds stupid, but I just want to make sure what 1837online can offer before I spent money there. Thanks in advance for your help.

Deborah

Deborah Report 7 Nov 2004 22:49

Hi Heike, Yes you can, but it costs £11 without the full GRO reference, only £7 with it. Debbie

Geoff

Geoff Report 7 Nov 2004 23:29

You're better off spending a fiver to find two (or more) exact references yourself than spending than paying £3 or £4 a time for them to find it. (Also, there is a certain triumph in finding something for yourself!)

Heike

Heike Report 8 Nov 2004 07:41

Good point, thanks for your replies. I completely agree, just wanted to make sure I understood the benefits. So I'll start some happy searching now. Thanks and best wishes, Heike