Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contact!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 6 Nov 2004 16:45

:

Janet

Janet Report 6 Nov 2004 16:45

I've been at a brickwall with my maternal great grandparents, because they came from Germany. My gt grandmother's maiden name was Viohl, and in the B4U search site I found a Martin Viohl living in London. I wrote to him, and he put me in touch with a relative in Germany who is researching the name. This morning I received a letter from him containing a copy of a page showing my great grandmother's father's name and date of birth, her mother's name and maiden name, date of birth and their marriage, and the dates of birth of her and five siblings I knew nothing about. I also discovered that, two years before she married my gt grandfather in London, she became the second wife of another Viohl, presumably a cousin - less than three months after the death of his first wife, and two months before he died. So by being brave and contacting Martin, I've found this much in the first contact with his relation, and he's offered to help more if he can, and also given me another contact name of someone else who is researching this name in northern Germany. Jan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 16:54

Jan That's great news! Aren't you glad your German relatives aren't called Schmidt! nell

JG70

JG70 Report 6 Nov 2004 20:07

Nice to hear such good news!! Jacquie