Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOST PARENT - HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 6 Nov 2004 16:23

Can anyone please tell me where I can find my husbands mother who he has not seen since he was 8 years old we think she is still alive but do not know where she could be living. Would the DHSS be able to help. Many thanks Marilyn.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 16:28

If she's not on the electoral roll - and she may have changed her surname - try Traceline: www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/traceline/index.asp#0 nell

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 6 Nov 2004 17:17

Thanks for your help both of you I have sent the details to you Irene via email thanks again Marilyn

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Nov 2004 17:35

If he wasn't adopted then you can use the services of Traceline, the government Office of National Statistics. They trace people throught their medical number and can say whether someone is alive or dead. We were able to ascertain that someone who hadn't been heard of for 40 years was still alive. It cost about £25 if I recall correctly. For another fee of around £25 they will contact that person by letter and ask if they are willing to accept a letter from relative and then forward it on. Unfortunately if they don't hear from the person then that's it they don't pursue it and in our case we didn't know whether the person searched for was in a position to reply. However we did find that they had changed their name several times and a snippet of information together with information from another source highlighted the area where to look and eventually we were successful. You could also look on websites Lookupuk*com and Missing-you*net and leave messages. Also the Trying to Find on here and on Friends Reunited. Good Luck

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 18:14

There is also a very nice member of this site called Joan Allen and she runs a successful tracing service called My Folks (type it into google for website). Mandy :)