Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO DO NOW.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 15:36

HI, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON FINDING MY G/G/GRANDFATHER, SOME VERY KIND PERSON FOUND HIM ON THE 1861 BUT HE WAS VISITING SO STILL CANT FIND HIS MOTHER, HE WAS ILLIGITIMATE, ALSO WHEN HE WAS VISITING HE WAS ONLY 4YRS, HELP WHAT DO I DO NOW, OR HAS THIS PART OF MY TREE AT AN END. REGARDS JACKIE.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 15:40

Jackie What was his name and what information do you know about him - birthplace, rough birthdate, who did he marry, what was his mother's name? Who and where was he visiting on the census and what relationship was he to the Head of Household? nell

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 15:46

HI HELEN I HAVE HIS MARRIAGE, HIS BIRTH, BUT COULD ONLY FIND HIM ON 1881 BEEN LOOKING FOR AGES AND SOMONE FOUND HIM ON THE 1861 BUT VISITING, HE DOES NOT LOOK ANY RELATION TO THE FAMILY AT ALL, HIS MOTHER ON THE BIRTH CERT WAS MARY PORTER HER SON WILLIAM WAS BORN 1856 CHEADLE COMMON CHEADLE, WILLIAM WAS ILLIGITIMATE, I LOOKED THROUGH THE FAMILY AND SURROUNDING FAMILIES FOR A MARY (COULD HAVE BEEN A NAUGHTY MARRIED ONE), BUT TO NO AVAIL. JACKIE.

Heather

Heather Report 6 Nov 2004 15:49

Even if it said he was just visiting, those people are more than likely to be relatives - who else would a 4 year old visit? See if you can check out their names and whether the Head or the wife is a bro or sis to your mans mother?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 15:54

In the time William was born, any child born to a married woman was assumed to be the husband's, so I think it is very likely that Mary was unmarried. If you have no further information about her, she may be dead by then, which is why her child was with someone else. What does the census info actually say in the column about relationship to the head of the household in which he was visiting? nell

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 15:55

HI HEATHER TRIED ALL THAT NONE OF THEM FIT IN THERE IS ANOTHER PART OF THE FAMILY WITH A FEMALE BY THE NAME MARY I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED TO FIND HER MAIDEN NAME BUT CANT FIND HER ANY WHERE, SHE IS NOT WITH HER HUSBAND SO DONT KNOW HIS NAME. REGARDS JACKIE.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 15:57

HI HELEN ALL IT SAYS IS VISITOR BUT 4 YEAR OLDS DONT VISIT. REGARDS JACKIE.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 6 Nov 2004 16:05

Hi, Visitor meant that the child wasn't a permanent resident. In the 1901 census my aunt is a visitor at her grandparents. Her Mum had just had another baby and she had obviously been sent there for a few days while Mum recovered. Gwynne

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 16:16

HI GWYNNETH HE WAS VISITING IN HIS HOME TOWN OF CHEADLE, COULD THE FAMILY HAVE TAKEN HIM ON, COULD THE MARY WITH THE OTHER FAMILY BE HIS MOTHER, I CANT ASK FOR A LOOKUP ON MARY PORTER AS I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER, SHE IS NOT ON ANY CENSUS FROM 1851 TO 1901 I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE SHE WAS BORN, REGARDS JACKIE.

Jeanie

Jeanie Report 6 Nov 2004 16:48

Have you looked at the 1871 to see if he was still 'visiting' the same family? Husbands grandfather was described as adopted on one census, and a boarder on another with the same family.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 6 Nov 2004 17:16

Hi, If he lived there he would be described as a boarder or nurse child. Visitor means it wasn't his main address. Gwynne

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Nov 2004 19:26

I have children in my tree visiting the next door neighbours. Maybe an angle to try?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Nov 2004 19:42

hi all. i could not find him on the 1871, the only william i could find about 14 years was at sandon on a farm states he was born burston it could be a possible, as for neighbours i tried all of them and a couple of surrounding streets but no mary, i have a mary swindell at another address but that is her married name cant see her husband on 1871 or 1851, the address she is living at is possibly a relation that william is a visitor at, is there any way i can find her maiden name, regards jackie.