Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GENEALOGY MAGAZINE. WHICH ONE?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 5 Nov 2004 20:38

To buy a Genealogy Magazine at my paper shop, you have to place a monthly order. As I have never bought one before, would like some advice on which one is the best. Ann

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 5 Nov 2004 21:48

Hi Ann I have been subscribing to Family Tree Magazine for about 10 years (maybe longer) and Your Family Tree for about 18 months. I personally think they are the best (they both usually have a free family history disc with each issue) but I have been known to buy any other publications I happen to spot in the shops (W H Smith usually has a few on their shelves). Carolyn

Heather

Heather Report 5 Nov 2004 22:56

Do you think they are worthwhile? I have been buying the Norfolk Roots magazine but its nearly £4 and sometimes I wonder if I am actually learning anything from it.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Nov 2004 23:12

I buy Family History monthly £2-70 and Family Tree monthly £3 Both magazines are interesting and give loads of websites that I did not know about before getting these mags for the last 2yrs. Well worth the money Sue

Ann

Ann Report 6 Nov 2004 13:03

Thanks to you all for the information. I will have to try to get to a W.H.Smiths. There I could have a look at what they have, and if any use i could then order through my newsagents. Ann

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 13:37

I buy Family Tree Magazine and its sister publication Practical Family History. jim

Seasons

Seasons Report 6 Nov 2004 14:43

I buy Your Family History about £5 and Practical Family History (which last couple of times has had a disc) about £2.90. My newsagent orders it and when it arrives asks if I want it - if not he says he'll return it. WH Smith seems to be the only shop that stocks them about 6 or 7 different ones and its worth having a look to see what interests you - especially when they have features on areas you're interested in.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Nov 2004 15:01

WH Smith seems to have them all. I look each month and just by issues that have articles of interest. nell

Ann

Ann Report 7 Nov 2004 19:16

Thanks for your replies. I will have a look next time I go to town in Smith's Ann

Naomi in SW

Naomi in SW Report 7 Nov 2004 20:59

I subscribe to Your Family Tree and it works out cheaper to subscribe direct through the magazine and it gets delivered to your door. Cut out Smiths and save yourself some money too! Naomi

Jay

Jay Report 7 Nov 2004 22:19

Hi, Have to agree with Naomi. Having subscribed to all of them I`ve now opted just for Your Family Tree on subscription, good discount, to your door regular as clockwork, and a disc with every issue. If I see one of the others on the shelves at newsagents with an item I`d like to read I can just buy that one. Jay.