Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BTs....Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maryann

Maryann Report 5 Nov 2004 13:02

I have done a thread search but can find an answer to my questions...or I've missed it! Someone has offered to do a look up for me at the local records office in Whiethaven. She knows nothing about familly treeing. I need to make a list/advise her on how to go about the task. Not having seen BTs myself, I don't know what to tell her. An idiot's guide would really me about now. Thank you Mary

Carol

Carol Report 5 Nov 2004 13:08

I assume we are talking Bishops Transcripts. They are copies of the parish registers that the vicar sent to his Bishop either monthly, quarterly or yearly. The ones I have seen were on film and are separated into baptisms, marriages and burials. Baptisms gives the name of the child, the names of the parents but not mothers maiden name, the date of baptism, the place of abode and sometimes the fathers occupation. Marriages gives the names of both parties, if they are from the same or different parishes, the date of marriage, names of witnesses Burials give the name of person, date of burial, persons abode, age at death and sometimes occupation. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Maryann

Maryann Report 5 Nov 2004 13:10

Hi Carol Thnks for the reply. Bishop'e trans or Parish whatever they are. I need to tell her how to go babout lookin

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Nov 2004 13:12

There are quite a lot of BTs in Whitehaven that have been transcribed and bound into books. Others are on microfilm. You need a form of ID (driving licence will do) to get in. The Records Office has plenty of FREE car parking around the back of the building.

Maryann

Maryann Report 5 Nov 2004 13:15

Geoff Thank you for that. Are the film's/fiche in any particular order Mary

Judith

Judith Report 5 Nov 2004 13:15

Most records offices are busy and so you need to phone ahead and book a microfiche reader (or for some records microfilm - check with the staff which you need), at the same time check that they have records for the parish you want to look at. When you get there you will probably need money to operate a locker to leave your bag etc in. Take pencils and a note book as pens aren't allowed in the search rooms. The staff will allocate you a microfiche viewer and show you how to use it if you ask. Usually records offices have an index on card or file where you look up the name of the parish and find out what years are covered and give you a reference number for the microfiche. Then you go to a filing cabinet and collect the microfiche which has images of the pages of that register that you can search through on a viewer to look for your particular names. Copy, very carefully, any entries that look like they may be your family. You may be able to take a photocopy of the page so take small change for the copier (usually 25p or so per copy) but some of the images are very faded and don't copy very well. Judith

Maryann

Maryann Report 5 Nov 2004 13:20

Judith Lovely just what I needed. Routine mush the same as FRC. One other question - How do I know the parish ie is it the name of the Church or what? Thank you

Judith

Judith Report 5 Nov 2004 13:28

If its a village its usually listed under the village name as there would only have been one church but in towns there were probably more than one church so yes you will need to search each parish separately eg where I live Heybridge is a village with one church so one set of registers for Heybridge Parish Church(St Andrews ) but up the road is Maldon which has two parish churches so there will be two sets of registers: one for Maldon, All Saints and one for Maldon, St Mary's

Maryann

Maryann Report 5 Nov 2004 13:32

Judith There seems to be quite a few churches in Whitehave. Bet my friend will wish she had not offered. I am most greatful for your help....once again Mary

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Nov 2004 13:36

Perhaps it's possible to book. I was there all day one Friday and a Saturday morning in September and it wasn't busy either time. There is a shelf full of bound transcripts as I said, and a ring-binder as an index to the BTs/registers I think. Yes, the rolls of film are in a filing cabinet. I wouldn't recommend getting photocopies from films unless you want some "must haves". It costs 50p a sheet and the quality is terrible. There were lots of Irish (and, therefore Catholics), in Whitehaven. The records office has some pre-1820 RC transcripts but later ones are held at the RC church (St Begh's). I have the phone number of the keeper there - I believe it may be possible to visit and look at registers if you make an appointment beforehand.