Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births before 1837

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Nov 2004 11:29

I am needing to find a couple of births before 1837 and wondered if anyone could give some guidance to how to go about this. Is there any sort of records like the Pallots Marriage records that holds births before this year? Regards, Claire

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 5 Nov 2004 11:36

Claire You could have a look at the IGI on the Familysearch site. Just use it as a guide though as it's not always correct. The best way is to have a look at the parish registers. They are usually kept in the records office local to the place you are researching in. If you don't live near there you could take a look at the site for the Family History Society for that area. They may have transcribed some of the registers. Or you could ask on here if anyone is going to the records office. Jeanette x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Nov 2004 11:41

Thanks for that Jeanette, I do go on IGI quite often but most of my rellies are in Yorkshire and theres not many on there lol. Thanks for the guidance. Claire

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 5 Nov 2004 11:42

Claire Where abouts in Yorkshsire are you looking Jeanette x

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 5 Nov 2004 11:48

Hi Jeanette, Im looking at Sheffield and the surrounding areas such as Barnsley and Rotherham. Regards, Claire

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 5 Nov 2004 11:50

OK Claire. I thought I might be able to help but it's the wrong area for me I'm afraid. Try putting a post on the Records Office board. You never know someone may be going soon Good Luck Jeanette x

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Nov 2004 14:34

Hi, The LDS have filmed a lot of records see if they have filmed the parishes you need in the catalogue on their website. If they have you can order the film at an LDS centre near you for a small fee and search it there. Gwynne