Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any suggestions will be greatfully recieved

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Nov 2004 00:28

Trying to locate Anne (Ann) Greenhalgh. See thread.

Wayne the boy from OZ

Wayne the boy from OZ Report 5 Nov 2004 00:28

Anne (Ann) Greenhalgh m. an unknown Widower who had 2 children Abt 1960. They Married in Sandbatch - Cheshire. And were believed to have purchased a Pub in Shropshire. Not much to go on but that is all the data I have. All suggestions will be greatfully received. Wayne Lawrence

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Nov 2004 13:05

I had a look on the Local BMD site: http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk There are several Ann Greenhalgh marriages between 1850 and 1870 but none seems to be in Sandbach (the contemporary spelling, if you're trying to locate it on Multimap, say; I can imagine that there are plenty of alternative spellings from history). The site does seem to be indexed for the Sandbach churches for the period in question and the free church weddings and civil marriages don't seem to have started there until much later. Here are the Ann(e)s that appear. The info is indexed: Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference 1854 GREENHALGH Ann HOLDEN George Stockport, St Mary Stockport ST16/10/367 1855 GREENHALGH Ann HARRISON John Hyde, St George Tameside CE28/1/329 1856-60 GREENHALGH Ann FLETCHER Edwin Ashton under Lyne, St Michael Tameside CE4/11/202 1866-70 GREENHALGH Ann HUNT Samuel Bredbury, St Mark Stockport ST64/2/173 Perhaps one of these will tie in with other info you have? Or perhaps they weren't married in Sandbach, or (perish the thought!) weren't married at all - or married later than they formed their "partnership". On the site, the reference bit is a link to a partially completed application form which you are invited to complete and send off to the local office along with the standard fee. As the central index is a transcription of the local one, you may be more likely to strike lucky - and it will have had one less opportunity for mistranscription. Good hunting! Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Nov 2004 13:37

Not saying it isn't either of the above, but Sandbach is in South Cheshire - almost Staffs. If you have a look on one of the mapping sites (e.g. http://www.multimap.*com [remove astersik]), you'll see what I mean. Runcorn is on the Cheshire side of the Mersey at it's mouth - i.e. NW Cheshire. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 5 Nov 2004 13:45

And sorry, I'm so fixated on 19th century and before, I didn't read the first two digits properly! The Cheshire BMD doesn't have any "A Greenhalgh" marriages from 1950-1970 - or not transcribed online yet anyway. There's only this one with Ann in the name: 1970 GREENHALGH Sarah Ann FLETCHER Benjamin Ashton-under-Lyne, Albion Church (Stamford St) Tameside AP12/9/241 The Sandbach marriages seem to be transcribed only up to 1950 at latest, although it looks, from the date ranges offered, as if they will be extended at some point. Cheshire BMD is, at least, one of the sites which does get updated fairly often unlike West Midlands BMD. Christine