Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glass negatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anna

Anna Report 4 Nov 2004 21:37

Ive got a box of glass negatives,for want of a better description. On the box it says Ilford HP3 Plate hypersensitive Panachromatic Plate Backed Does anyone know if I can get these turned into the original photos? Or can I scan them or anything? Theyre about 50 years old. It says on the box "open in darkness only"so i dont know if I should mess about with them lol Anna :-)

Geoff

Geoff Report 4 Nov 2004 21:47

"Open in darkness only" would refer to the unexposed plates. If they ARE negatives there shouldn't be a problem. The negatives are the originals - the prints come later! There's no reason why you couldn't get prints from them, although in these "Automatic printing" days I imagine there are fewer people who can do them and it would probably cost a bit.

Anna

Anna Report 4 Nov 2004 21:59

Thanks Geoff. Ill get the yellow pages out and look for someone who can do them. They are old wedding photos and I said id try and get them printed for the person they belong to,just didnt know whether or not it was possible. Anna :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Nov 2004 23:31

Try scanning one, save the result as a jpeg, and open it in a photo program, and then go " inverse image", it should show you the pic as a positive.......you might have to juggle the scan methods......... Bob

Carrie in Godalming

Carrie in Godalming Report 5 Nov 2004 07:48

HI not sure if im being of any help but my father in law was left a load of negatives etc of his fathers who passed away last christmas. he brought some gadget designed for scanning negatives that fits on the scanner its self. unsure of when he got it but it worked really well after we worked out the instructions corrina