Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two questions,..... please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 4 Nov 2004 18:13

I'm trying to find the appenticeship records of a few people who were coopers. Does anyone know how old children were when they entered apprenticeships? Also, what are 'freedom registers'? Chloe

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Nov 2004 18:34

Hi, Boys were usually apprenticed at age 14. Some were paid for by the parish - in which case the records will be in the Poor Law papers of the parish. Others were apprenticed to family members or their parents paid the masters. I don't know about freedom registers but Freeman registers contain the names of those given the freedom of the town or city having successfully completed an aprrenticeship. It meant they were free to work in the town. There were other ways of becoming Freemen. Gwynne

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 4 Nov 2004 18:45

Thanks Gwynne. I mean to type freeman registers, I'm half asleep!

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 4 Nov 2004 18:50

Hi Chloe, I have records of pauper children apprenticed between the ages of 9 and 11, and another ancestor who was apprenticed at 15. I believe an apprenticeship was usually for 7 years, and had to be completed by the age of 24. Cazza

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 4 Nov 2004 19:02

Thanks. Gawd this is proving very difficult.

Jude 3

Jude 3 Report 4 Nov 2004 23:10

Hi Chloe, i have a copy of my great grandfathers indenture papers with london north east railway and it was for 5 years and he was 15 starting it. so it looks like the ages varied a lot. judy (melbourne)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Nov 2004 06:42

Hi, The ages can vary from parish to parish and depending on family circs - that's why I said usually in my first post. I have also seen later than age 14 apprenticeships, when the family had got some cash together, I suppose. A lot of apprentice papers have been "lost" but the Freeman registers are very useful. Gwynne

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 5 Nov 2004 13:40

Hi Chloe, I don't know where you live, but if you are near enough, come to Burton upon Trent in Staffordshire for a day and visit the Museum of Brewing. This used to be in the brewery of Bass, but has now been taken over by Coors. It is a brilliant way to find out about the brewing industry including the making of barrels. There is still a cooper's workshop and demonstrations are given by real coopers. You will also be able to find out about apprentices and view authentic Apprenticeship Agreements. The museum also houses the famous 'Bass Shires' stables, where the heavy horses live.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 5 Nov 2004 13:49

For a short period in the 1700s, stamp duty was payable on the indentures. Pauper and informal (family) apprentices escaped, but where duty was paid, records were kept. The Society of Genealogists has many volumes indexing both the apprentices and the masters. In the best records, you get name of apprentice and guardian, where they come from, name of master, his parish and occupation and the cost. The originals are at TNA at Kew. Brenda