Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP required please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Nov 2004 16:13

My birth father was German and died in 1960 aged 39. I have his marriage cert so i know the name of my granfather (he was dead when my father married). Frankly, I have no idea how to get info from Germany. Does anyone know what the set-up is in Germany, what useful sites there are? (anything like GR?) or any other tips for an English man who speaks not a word of German. I have a friend who does speak German so will be able to help with translations but he has no interest in genealogy so cannot help me on that side of things. Gerry

Carol

Carol Report 4 Nov 2004 16:28

If you type genealogy germany into google, there is quite a few hits. The first one was http://www(.)genealogy-germany(.)de/ It is in English Dont forget to remove brackets

Esta

Esta Report 4 Nov 2004 16:30

1837 online has a good explaination on overseas records which might help Just look at 'Resource and guidance' and then 'overseas records' Esta :)

Seasons

Seasons Report 4 Nov 2004 18:39

There's sure to be a rootsweb for country Germany and maybe even the surname. Could also try the surname search engine "rad de kajadsen" or something like that - sorry the web address is on other computer. Will update message with proper address when I can unless someone can do so now.

Esta

Esta Report 4 Nov 2004 18:48

Julie - is this the one you mean !! http://www(.)rat(.)de/kuijsten/navigator Esta

Seasons

Seasons Report 4 Nov 2004 20:28

Yes that's the one - thanks.

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Nov 2004 23:13

Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into them all and see where they take me. Gerry