Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

death certificate..........info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris

Chris Report 4 Nov 2004 14:44

Hello everyone, i am about to order a death certificate for gt gt gt grandmother 1867 does anyone know what information will be on it ie will it say what her maiden name was, and does it give her date of birth. Christine

Alan

Alan Report 4 Nov 2004 15:16

As the other message it should give you cause of death, place of death, their age and person who reported it, I've found the older death certs not of great value as in most cases the next of kin reported the death (whom you most probably already know) the rest of the info is of little use.

Maud

Maud Report 4 Nov 2004 15:54

Do not agree that a death cert. is of little use! It most certainly is, if you DO NOT know other members of the family, it can be of great help by supplying perhaps a daughter or a son`s name, this cen then be followed up, resulting in finding more members of a family. Another instance, you may not be aware of the details of the persons death, cert will supply that too. In my case, one cert was a shock to find that there had been an inquest re the death, on following this up (obtained newspaper report from Colindale) to find event well documented, and led me to fresh information, that the person concerned had a second wife (this was unknown to me) and led on on to more details I otherwise would not have found. Also recently obtained death cert for maternal gt grandfather, also finding there had been an inquest, he however according to newspaper report, had dropped dead outside his home, again newspaper report obtained from the relevant record office. So, do not think that death certs are not important, they most certainly are!!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 4 Nov 2004 16:08

Agree whole-heartedly, Maud. Feeling very rich, I did a mop up of 12 "boring" death certificates. They weren't people I was interested in and in several cases I already had proofs of death. 3 inquests, masses of column inches in the newspapers plus for the other deaths I got to know who the bossy boots in the family were. And you get place of death, which isn't always at home. Worth every penny. Brenda

Chris

Chris Report 4 Nov 2004 19:40

Thank you everyone for replying!!!!!!!! im not sure about sending for it now as its the maiden name im after and i dont know if that will be on Christine

Chris

Chris Report 5 Nov 2004 12:11

Hi Sue Yes i have got 2 of her sons birth certificates and theres no maiden name on any of them( so you know what that means!!!!!!!) but i thought if i got her death certificate it would give me some info on her, she was born in 1805,cant find her in any parish records,so i dont know where to go next!!! Christine

Chris

Chris Report 5 Nov 2004 12:35

Hi Sue, This is what i have so for Betty Pickering born abt 1805........got this date from the 1841 census so it could be a year or two out, she was born over Darwen lancashire got two of her sons birth certificate, James b 1839 in the workhouse over darwen and Benjamin b 1843 duckworth st over darwen, i his marriage certificate and theres no father on it, iv checked parish records from 1790-1820 but theres no sign of her shes on the 51 census but not on the 61 one and neither is her son Benjamin and he should be on somewhere as he was married in 1868 over darwen,it just seems one big puzzle to me hope you can help Best wishes Christine