Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth cert query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susannah

Susannah Report 4 Nov 2004 14:34

I am researching the family tree of my adopted parents and finding it facinating I thought I might like to follow my natural tree, I have my orginal birth cert which gives me my natural mothers name and where I was born etc (no father) how would I find her birth without spending a fortune on 1837 as I obviously do not have any age or birth details for her, I am assuming she was born after 1910 ( I was born in 1951) when most of freebmd details stop. Any thoughts would be of help Thanks Sue

Alan

Alan Report 4 Nov 2004 15:21

I had the same fun finding my birth mother, on your certificate you'll have her age so can work out her year of birth to within a year. Then with this information you can access 1837 and for a fiver you'll more than have enough credit to see all births (with your mothers name) within this 2-3 year period, I bet you you'll find it no problem, if you need any more help shout. The other option and is what I did was armed with the same info I went to the family record centre and looked for the birth entry, of course you'll have to live in London and £5 on line is probably cheaper.

Susannah

Susannah Report 4 Nov 2004 15:34

Alan, Thank you. I will have another look at the certificate and take it from there, sometimes you overlook the simple answer that is staring you in the face. Regards Sue.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 15:53

Although my original birth certificate is a little later than yours, 1964, it does not contain my birth mother's age or date of birth. I found her age at the time of having me on my adoption records, and I discovered her date of birth from ordering her birth certificate. As you were obviously adopted before 1975, you are supposed to have a single counselling session from Social Services, as your birth mother would have been told that you would never be able to trace her (the law changed in 1975). I wish you every success, but please proceed with caution and be prepared for every eventuality. If you want to ask any questions from someone who's 'been there', feel free to email me! Mandy :)