Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry members survey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Nov 2004 10:56

Was asked to fill in a user survey for ancestry - mwhahahahahahah ***see below***

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Nov 2004 10:59

The very last question on the survey was "Would you recommend Ancestry to a friend?" but with an option to explain why you would or wouldn't. Let's just say red rag and bull: Although I find ancestry generally a delight to use for my own research I have friends who have a wide range of experiences with the site. Some have taken a two week free trial and had money deducted from their account automatically at the end and been unable to get any response from the site or a refund. I have friends who would love to use the site but don't have credit cards so cannot join. I particularly dislike having to leave my credit card details on the site so that my membership will be renewed automatically - with such a large sum of money involved this is something I would prefer to have a say in and be notified and asked whether I wish to renew. And no matter what security level you are using I do not like having no choice whatsoever in retention of my credit card details online. I would hesitate before reccommending ancestry to others - although the range of resources is outstanding (although the transcription sometimes leaves a little to be desired) for the money it costs there are too many other factors that I would inform/warn anyone considering joining of first. Just wanted to encourage anyone else that gets asked to take it to fill in the question with these things as it looks like one of the few opportunites we'll get to have our say on the site Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Nov 2004 11:01

Think you worded that brilliantly. I'm lucky in that I had no problems cancelling my subscription when the free trial was up but like you I know people who have had major hassles. Let's hope that they are going to take the comments on board!

Maud

Maud Report 4 Nov 2004 16:08

I have been a member on Ancestry now for two years & have found it to be very helpful. Don`t understand why remark made re having to have a credit card, I do not, I use my debit card and have no problem. You are notified when next subscription is due for renewable, if you want to continue or to unsuscribe. The site is most useful for obtaining census print outs, especially if you weigh up costs in travelling to London, and photocopy fees to obtain the census, a yearly subscription (in my case at least) has proved very valuable

Zoe

Zoe Report 4 Nov 2004 16:34

Maud I was merely taking the opportunity to summarise the various complaints posted on these boards regulalry by other members. As ancestry is normally one of these very hard to contact sites when you have a problem with anything I thought it was a good opportunity to take to address the situation. Zoe

Gerry

Gerry Report 4 Nov 2004 16:51

Zoe. Tell me about it! The site is great for info, but getting them to answer emails is like trying to get my wife to fly - she won't. If they do bother to reply (33.3% success rate so far) they answer the question you didn't ask! Despite my gripes, and I do have a few, I wouldn't be without it. Gerry