Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible to do a 1901 census look up without

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Supergran

Supergran Report 3 Nov 2004 15:08

I am looking for Alice Carter b 1891 on the 1901 census but I'm not sure where she was born only that her fathers name was Robert. Is there an easy way out of this as there are millions of Alice Carters on this census!! Thanks Brenda

Supergran

Supergran Report 3 Nov 2004 16:11

Thanks Steve I've Essex,Surrey or Middlesex as possibilities. I've tried to narrow it down with an IGI search on Family Search but it doesn't seem to be operating at the mo

Richard

Richard Report 3 Nov 2004 16:31

Hi, There is an Alice Carter aged 10, Father Robert Carter. Born in Kingham Oxfordshire, living in Milton Under Wychwood Oxfordshire. Of course if she was 9 or 11 at the time of the Census there may be others. Richard

Supergran

Supergran Report 4 Nov 2004 17:29

I think I have found her !!! Born in Chiswick, shes in a poor law school in Isleworth run by the Brentford Union. Are there any on-line records that would help me confirm this is her ie parents names etc. I've Googled until I'm googled out & still no further !! Don't know where to go from here Thanks Brenda

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 4 Nov 2004 17:59

Hi, Nothing online but the county record office may have the admission books which often contained familyinformation. Gwynne

Supergran

Supergran Report 4 Nov 2004 21:36

Thanks Gwynne x

Crista

Crista Report 4 Nov 2004 21:49

Brenda, There are some other Carters. Are they her sisters? Crista

Martin

Martin Report 5 Nov 2004 07:58

The census page also has a Lily Carter age 13 born Richmond at the bottom of the page. RG13/1186 Folio 85 Page 7

Supergran

Supergran Report 5 Nov 2004 09:38

Thanks Martin & Crista This is one of those difficult ones where,although she was my Grandmother we know very little about her family other than her fathers name & that she was brought up in a childrens home. I thought a 1891 census might help but I can't find them there. She may have had older siblings & Lily could be one of them. I'll keep digging !! Regards Brenda