Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO ordering birth certs Arthur Wade pre 1900 – ca

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trouble

Trouble Report 3 Nov 2004 15:02

I have just tried to order a birth cert on line at the GRO for Arthur Wade born 27 Aug 1896. Unfortunately I don’t know the GRO reference as there are many Arthur Wade’s and he could have been born in numerous place’s (1837 and FreeBMD searches). - ---------------------------------------------------------- I wanted to use the GRO search facility, but the order form error said I have to have the ref for birth certs pre 1900. Does anyone know how I can get the birth certificate without the ref as I can’t order all the possibilities as it would cost me an arm and a leg!! . Thank you for your advice Tracie

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 3 Nov 2004 15:08

If you are certain of the date of birth, try the register office where the birth was registered. You don't need the GRO code to order from local register offices. Maggy

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2004 15:10

He should be on GRO in the September quarter 1896, then. Freebmd has three in that quarter, two with middle names, one without. How many does that narrow it down to and out of those can you discount any locations? Have you got him on the 1901 census, as that should give place of birth?

Trouble

Trouble Report 3 Nov 2004 15:19

Thank you so much for your advice, but this is my problem, We are as certain of the date as we can be, it was on his death registration index and on his grave, but we don't know where he would have been born, My father was told by Arthur that it was Bermondsey, (but we know he changed the truth sometimes!!!!!) and the death cert has somewhere else in London and the 1901 census has St john's wood, and it looks like all his family were born in Lincs. Just to add to the issue, of all the Arthur Wade's that were born/registered around this time, NONE of them were registered in these places!!!!!!!!! I would love to contact the local registry office, but would not know where to start!! Any one else have any advice or is it hopeless? Tracie

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2004 15:28

Right, there's only two Arthur Wades on 1901 born London, one St Johns Wood, Marylebone and the other Plumstead. Of the Plumstead ones, the possible mothers are Kate and Sarah, both born London. In S Marylebone you've got Emma aged 25 and as a long shot, Julia aged 21.

Trouble

Trouble Report 3 Nov 2004 15:46

Right Brian, but the two records I found on Ancestry for Sept 1896 were from outside London, and not Lincs. then if you think he was registered later than he should have been, there end up being many more Arthur's. Just found another way.... a friend has just found his marriage registration...... after looking through 15 years of records so I have just ordered that cert. Now I just have to wait to see if the ancestors I have found are the right one's, If his age is different again or his father is not mentioned I will SCREEEEEAM Thank you for all your advice - it helps to talk these matters through - sometimes its the only think that keeps me sane. Tracie

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2004 15:57

Great: So the father's name on the marriage certificate should narrow it down!

Trouble

Trouble Report 3 Nov 2004 16:09

Hi Jim How did you find this record? arthur william wade 1896 dec edmonton 3a 471 I still have the print outs from 1837 on line and edmonton is not on that list??????? I can't be that blind can I ?? - Dont answer this part, I might not like the answer!!!! LOL Tracie

Trouble

Trouble Report 3 Nov 2004 16:26

Sorry Jim, I think you will need to put those glasses back on.....LOL Please under that I REALLY appreciate your help, but I have just checked this on ancestry and its a Marriage entry not a birth. At least we have found the marriage cert, so I am praying that that will give more info, and hopefully we can then confirm the 1901 census, As soon as I get it, expect me back on these boards..... T hank you again to everyone for all your support and help. Tracie

Sharon

Sharon Report 3 Nov 2004 16:47

As you have the exact date - you may be better printing off an order form and sending it to them - the online ordering setup can be tricky if you don't have the gro reference. Alternatively - your local Morman family history centre may have the indexes, which will get you the reference, then you can do your online order. Goodluck... Sharon

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 4 Nov 2004 22:15

I use [email protected], they will find certs for you without refs, I have been using them for years, they are very reliable. Find them on Google brenda