Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cork Cutter/Grocer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2004 14:00

My ancestor Alfred Worboys married Jane Gorrod on 17/5/1869 in Shoreditch.

BrianW

BrianW Report 3 Nov 2004 14:04

On the marriage certificate the occupation of Jane's father, John Gorrod, is given a "Grocer". On the 1881 census her place of birth is given as Islington (IIRC, can't get into 1881 at the moment). Ages look consistent. I have found a Jane Gorrod born St Pancras in 1845 with father John, but his occupation is "Cork cutter". Is it likely that a cork cutter would later become a grocer, I wonder?

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2004 17:58

Brian It's possible. I have labourers who became policemen, a blacksmith who became a chauffeur by way of shoe repairing (!) a labourer who became a milkman, a distillers' servant who became a picture framer. People changed occupations then, as now, because the job they had disappeared/because a better-paid one came along/because they married into a different workworld. nell

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 3 Nov 2004 18:30

so its possible that the son of a watchmaker could have became a railway repairer