Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD - Viewing Images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 3 Nov 2004 12:18

Is it hit and miss with viewing the pages on BMD? I have found the birth I want and got the GRO numbers but when you go to view pages it lists a load of numbers which don't match up to the GRO Index, so am wondering, is it a case of just going through each one until you find it or am I being thick!

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 Nov 2004 12:27

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but the GRO is an alphabetical list, an INDEX to the page numbers. "View page" on FreeBMD lists only the few people who were on a given page. The FreeBMD list has been transcribed from the GRO lists.

Linda

Linda Report 3 Nov 2004 12:37

For example: I searched BMD for a marriage and got the GRO Index 15 449 then when you go to the view facility it asks for your a date, then a month, then comes up with the look for marriages in March 1838 starting with B page for example, then you fill in the blank, the drop down menu lists the pages as 1838M1-B-0011 so tried 1938-M1-B-0015 (as GRO Index 15-449) but the name i was looking for wasn't there! So, am wondering if the 1838-M1-etc corresponds to GRO Index for page number or not! Hope that makes sense!

Geoff

Geoff Report 3 Nov 2004 12:57

Ah, I see! B-0015 is the 15th page of names beginning with 'B' (Barlow - Barnston). As I said, it is just an alphabetical list. You will need to look through the right bit of the list to see the name you want.

Anne

Anne Report 3 Nov 2004 13:30

Linda, if you already have the index numbers why do you need to veiw the image page? The index numbers are all you need to order the certificate. The image page will only show you the same numbers. Anne

Linda

Linda Report 3 Nov 2004 14:01

ahhh thanks a bunch for your replies, can't believe how friendly and helpful people are on here!!!

DottyAnn

DottyAnn Report 3 Nov 2004 22:12

Hi Linda, Just wondered where your Seatons are from????? Am researching Seaton in Gawcott, Bucks. Any connection? One went to Salford, Lancs. Ann