Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 2 Nov 2004 22:21

Where is the best place on the internet to order a copy of a will? It would be one from recent years (about 5 years ago). Do you have to have a connection to the deceased or can anyone order a copy of anyone's will?

Heather

Heather Report 2 Nov 2004 22:43

Anyone can get a copy of the Will. Unfortunately recent ones cant be downloaded from National Archives. If you go to the NA website the details on ordering is there. I think it cost me a fiver.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2004 22:53

Hi Michelle, well I'm so chuffed this is one question I can answer! Only cos I sent off for one myself today!! You write to the York Probate Registry, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York, YO1 9RG. Copies cost £5 each, cheque made payable to HMPG (HM Paymaster General). You need to supply the full name of the deceased, last known address, and date of death. As they are in the public domain, you don't have to be a relative. Good luck! Mandy :)

Michelle

Michelle Report 2 Nov 2004 22:57

That's great, thanks Mandy! I did look at the National Archives site, but to be honest it is just so confusing if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

Janet

Janet Report 2 Nov 2004 22:59

Wills from 1858 are obtained through: Principal Probate Registry Probate Dept Principal Registry of the Family Division 42-49 High Holborn London WC1V 6NP Tel: 020 7947 7000 Up to 1989 they are in books and from 1989 they are on fiche. If you have to get someone to search for you then you may have to pay for this service but give them a ring to see. Cost is £5. There are other probate offices which you can check out on: http(://)www(.)lawonthe web(.)co(.)uk(/)basics(/)probateoffices(.)htm Remove brackets. Janet

Michelle

Michelle Report 3 Nov 2004 00:08

Hmm, I am confused now as have been given two different addresses. If I want a will from someone who lived and died in Devon, in 1998, who do I have to write off to? I have the address they lived at and should be able to get the date.

Wendy

Wendy Report 3 Nov 2004 01:12

I have ordered several wills recently having found them on the probate calendars. I have ordered them [all after 1858] from the York address at Castle Chambers,Clifford St.York YO1 9RG. They cost £5 each and come very quickly---sadly mine have not told me much so far "I leave all to my dear wife"!!!!!etc Wendy

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2004 07:27

I actually got the York address 'from the horses mouth' so to speak! I emailed the Probate Registry via their website, giving the details I had, and they replied with the York address, cost and who to make the cheque payable to. Mandy :)

Janet

Janet Report 3 Nov 2004 08:25

I also have done a lot of searching for wills mainly in London. The main place for Wills post 1858 is the London Address at High Holborn BUT there are other Probate Offices which you will find on the website given to you earlier. York is one of these other probate offices. I think Exeter is also a probate office but you need to look at the list. I suggest you look at the list and decide yourself which one to write to. Janet

Deany

Deany Report 3 Nov 2004 09:44

Would the office take kindly if I was to write with most of my ancestors and ask if any of them had wills? or do you have to have a ref number of some sort for each person?

Sheila

Sheila Report 3 Nov 2004 16:02

I also would like to know if they have an index and will tell you if there is a will or not, before I part with hard earned cash. I need a will for 1882 and 1925. Thankyou

Anne

Anne Report 3 Nov 2004 16:12

I think the £5 you send to York covers a small search of a few years each way. If you want a lot of wills you would therefore have to send £5 for each of them. The BEST ones are those of childless uncles! One of my ancestors left £500 to each of his 22 nephews and nieces in 1913. They are all named including their married names! Sheila, you can see the Probate Calendars as the indexes are called at most archives. They are published each year and list wills in alphabetical order. Some archives have them on fiche but here in Carlisle they have ALL the books - huge dusty volumes! You don't need to go to London. Anne

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Nov 2004 00:22

I think I am right in saying that to order a will you must have NAME, DATE of Death, RESIDENCE, and PLACE of probate. These you get from the Probate calendars, which tell you whether or not your ancestor left a will. Perhaps I am lucky, but the probate calendars for the whole country are available at Essex Record Office on fiche---I am sure they must be also available at other record Offices. I would suggest you contact your local office and ask. They can be great fun to search, unless your name is Smith of course!!! Wendy

Sheila

Sheila Report 4 Nov 2004 18:53

thanks everyone regards sheila.

CATHKIN

CATHKIN Report 4 Nov 2004 21:09

I tried to get a Scottish one fron Edinburgh but they seemingly don`t all have to be registered in Scotland . It was for 1997. Rosalyn

Anne

Anne Report 22 Nov 2004 15:22

nudge

Val

Val Report 18 Jan 2005 16:07

If you go to crown court should have probate office the wills are kept there for England and Wales so you know if right one then they will order one for £5