Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chancery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jonathan

Jonathan Report 2 Nov 2004 20:11

I am trying to find out about something that was left in chancery. The story goes that my Grandmother was told by her father, that if she was named after her Grandmother she would never go without. Her Father was very close to getting what ever it is that is in chancery, that was until he went to serve in France in the 1st World War, he never returned. Could anyone explain to me how chancery works? and how I would go about discovering what exactly was left in it. Regards Jonathan

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Nov 2004 20:31

We are all scared of your question, Jonathan. Much to my surprise, I discovered that a similar story in my own family. And I've met the man whose family scooped the jackpot: in every sense. The case was not in the names I had expected and I have only been able to find the final judgement, not the whole case. TNA has books on researching chancery records, but it's only easy for the very early period. Victorian records are a nightmare to wade through. Brenda

Bob

Bob Report 2 Nov 2004 20:57

Have a look here if you have an hour or two to spare: http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browser.asp?CATLN=2&CATID=247&GPE=False&MARKER=0