Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 2 Nov 2004 18:16

Am at a loss to know what to do - on the information my Dad gave me: my Grandmother (Florence Elizabeth Davie). born c1897 in Lambeth, her parents names were George and Sarah) I ordered the birth certificate and when it arrived the Mother's name was Sarah Davies (formerly James). no place of birth or anything else. THEN my Dad tells me that Florence had a brother called George and sisters called Alice and Louise. I cannot find any information on any of the Census for these people with a Mother called Sarah, however, I can find the exact same names with the mother called Esther! Have been looking at it for so long my brain is seizing up and the most simplist of things is becoming difficult!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 2 Nov 2004 18:37

Have you looked on earlier census for the family as you should get the mums place of birth on that.

Tc

Tc Report 2 Nov 2004 18:42

Could be a second marriage or Sarah's middle name was Esther

Louise2212

Louise2212 Report 2 Nov 2004 18:43

maybe florence's father may have been married previously to esther

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2004 18:47

Florence, George, Alice and Louise are quite popular names, so perhaps the Esther family isn't yours. Have you considered the possibility that they are there, misrecorded as Davie/Davey/Davis? The 1901 is notorious for mistranscriptions. As to what information you can expect to find on certificates, this site should help: http://home*.clara*.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd*.htm nell

Jon

Jon Report 2 Nov 2004 18:54

Linda, I have found the following marriage details which seem to fit in with what you say .... Name Year Quarter District County Volume Page Davie, George 1889 December Elham Kent 2a 1851 James, Sarah 1889 December Elham Kent 2a 1851 Hope this helps Jon

Linda

Linda Report 2 Nov 2004 19:56

Thanks for all your replies. I have checked previous Census but cannot find them anywhere! Have checked under various spellings. Jon - brilliant, thanks a bunch, I did find that earlier and was hoping to find them on the Census but they have 'disappeared', 'Esther' is there but Sarah is nowhere! Thanks a bunch!