Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on Divorces

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 2 Nov 2004 11:25

If a lady wanted to get married around the 1930s but needed a divorce first. How long would it take for the divorce to go through, thus enabling her to remarry. thanks, Siobhan

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 2 Nov 2004 19:23

Hi Siobhan Not sure about earlier but in the 1950's it was five years. Long time to wait! Hope it helps a bit Best wishes Amanda

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 2 Nov 2004 22:38

Hiya, the reason I ask is because I have been having trouble finding a marriage and the person in question may of been married previously. She has a child in 1929. I have search 10 years either side and cannot find the marriage. But I know she definately married him. what a pain!

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Nov 2004 22:52

When I was looking for my great great grandparents I found they had married 17 years before the birth of my great grandmother. However, how do you "know" they were married? Unless you have someone with a reliable memory who attended the wedding you can't know. I have an awful lot of Victorians and later who didn't marry, living together isn't, contrary to popular belief, a new idea.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Nov 2004 23:10

On the subject of divorce, how common was it in the late 1800's?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 2 Nov 2004 23:33

Divorce was not at all common in the 1800's. It required lots of money and influence to obtain and I believe women could only obtain divorce on the grounds of desertion.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 3 Nov 2004 12:35

I don't know for definate that they were married. Although my grandfather half brother, which would be her son, states she was. Although he doesn't know the date, but is looking into it for me, to see if a date will help me find it. She was an actress. I cannot find her previous marriage either. Unless of course she never married either of them. She had 4 children from the first and 1 from the latter. She died in 1977 with the latters surname. regards, Siobhan