Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Portsmouth area needed please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Nov 2004 11:18

Hi, Can anyone narrow down the area to search on census for North End, Kingston. e.g. St.Mary's, All Saints, St.John, St.James, Trinity, St.Paul, St. Judes. Thanks Jackie

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Nov 2004 11:31

at work at moment. i suspect all saints, but will check tonight. brenda 2 fingered!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Nov 2004 12:12

Thanks Brenda, Will try all Saints. If I have success will let you know. Jackie

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 2 Nov 2004 14:03

Hi Jacqueline, all of my lot are in the southsea/portsea area but i don't think it would be st judes,or st james or st pauls.st marys might be but i think that is more fratton/kingston, sorry not much help but i may have narrowed it down a bit, good luck, Karen

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Nov 2004 18:11

I don't know which census date you're looking at, but have you seen these for the 1891 census in Hampshire: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.*com/~hantsfree/1891.*htm (remove asterisks) I thought that, if you can find them in here using the textsearch function on your browser, it might give you what you need to find them otherwise. Christine

Christine in Herts

Christine in Herts Report 2 Nov 2004 18:12

This is another way to find Anglican parishes in their current form: http://www.*cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/sheets.html (remove asterisk) Christine

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Nov 2004 20:39

It is the 1861 census I am lookinig at, but according to the indexing everywhere is Kingston.

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 2 Nov 2004 20:53

I have a street map by my side. North End is north of Kingston and Copnor. Although the original parish of St Mary's was huge, I should have thought it had been carved up by 1861. My people in Buckland, slightly south of North End, were being baptised in All Saints. Are you looking for a ward or a street or a parish? I have the parish register book for Hants, which may give a clue and, if I can find them, the burgess rolls. Brenda

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Nov 2004 21:29

Thanks everyone, It was All Saints. Would have helped if the family had been there though. Will know for next ime. Jackie