Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I use the 1901 census??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 1 Nov 2004 14:36

Hi Before I get my credit card out for the 1901 Census, can anyone explain it to me?? Where it says "48hr" period....is this like a count down clock...so when I log on and then off and then on again...the time I have been logged off doesn't count. Or is it 48 hrs from when I paid and even if I don't use 48hrs worth I still get booted off?? Do I make sense?? Sue xx

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2004 14:44

Havent used that for a long time, thought it was a bit of a con. Much better using ancestry for 1901.

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 1 Nov 2004 14:48

Hi Heather I would if I could...but Yorkshire isn't on it yet :-( Sue xx

Sidami

Sidami Report 1 Nov 2004 14:51

Sue, I think the time is counted when you start so you only have 48 hours from then.

Geoff

Geoff Report 1 Nov 2004 14:52

I think it's 48 hours= 2 days then your outstanding credit disappears. Before parting with any money, I would suggest you see what people can find for you for FREE. Many people have access to Ancestry which has much of the 1901 census. Also there is the decoder from www.censusdecoder.*com (remove *) which can enable to group free search results into household groups. If you want to ask for specific lookups, try asking on the Records Office board eg "Looking for Fred Collins aged about 12 living in Leicester" giving as much info as you know. It's quite easy to spend a fiver and if you don't really know what your doing you may have nothing to show for it.

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 1 Nov 2004 14:59

Hi Jeff, thanks for the tips. I'll try the de-coder. I have an ancestors birth and marriage cert and on the 1881 census it shows she had 2 children by then, so I want to look on the 1901 census to see if she had anymore, I have her hubby on the 1901 census but then it's pay per view after that, and typically Ancestry doesn't have Yorkshire on it. Thanks Sue xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Nov 2004 23:18

You have to be careful to make sure you only suspend your session before the 48 hours is up, as opposed to logging out. I think its very expensive this way. I save my 1901 queries for visiting the Family Records Office where its free and also on microfiche, which is easier to use I think. nell

Jean

Jean Report 1 Nov 2004 23:33

You can buy a £5 voucher from record offices and main libraries which can last for up to six months. Much better if you are not likely to use it in 48 hours. Jean