Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get rid of searchweb invader

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maid Marian of

Maid Marian of Report 1 Nov 2004 13:09

I have a internet adware before I had mywebsearch and now I have searchtheweb. I am going crackers help me get rid of them I have tried Spybot search and destroy and noadware etc.etc etc etc..............heeeelp

Carol

Carol Report 1 Nov 2004 13:34

I had those and I am running on Windows 98SE. I have a partitioned drive, so transferred most of the stuff on C to D and backed up data onto CD. Then, with the help of John of 1901 decoder fame, I totally reinstalled Windows 98SE from the installation disc.

Judy

Judy Report 2 Nov 2004 06:09

Marian: Adaware and Spybot, for the most part, only remove the junk generated by spyware.....they don't remove the actual program that is causing the problem. Try removing the offending piece of spyware this way: 1. Click on START 2. Click on CONTROL PANEL ( if other than Windows XP you may have to click on SEARCH first and then CONTROL PANEL.) 3. Click on ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS 4. A list of programs on your PC will be generated. Scroll and see if you can locate the offending program. Once located, click once on the program name to highlight it and then click on the REMOVE/CHANGE button and follow the prompts to remove. Sometimes you won't find the offending program this way as a lot of the spyware out there hides itself.....if that is the case run SPYBOT or ADAWARE and take note of the file path of any .exe programs it detects and I can walk you through removal. It often helps to remove spyware and run spyware removal programs while the computer is running in SAFE MODE.....a program that is running in the "background" is difficult to remove because it is active. See "1 Stop Routine PC Maintenance" on how to start your PC in SAFE MODE.....Safe Mode shuts down everything on your PC except what is needed to run the PC.....making it easier to remove spyware. Judy